Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How to access REAR of passenger compartment fuse box? To plug in vehicle specific tow loom

tlaw259

Country Flag
uk
Hi - Folks - Newbie to LC120's here....
Just bought an LC120.....after 20 years of P38 Range Rover (I know) so I am used to doing stuff, like fitting a new V8 to the Rangie (Yep).....etc

Hoping for a little more reliability now.... :)

Anyhew! Purchased a tow bar kit with VEHICLE SPECIFIC tow bar wiring....i.e. all plugs, etc pre-fitted simply plug and pray.....
So so I thought!

After much swearing & torn skin on the back of the left hand (Stop it).... So close but plug refuses to come out even when depressing (As much as I can) the socket release!
Thus I have surrendered to the collective knowledge on this forum.

QUESTION
How the bejeesus do you access the rear of the passenger compartment fuse box in order to remove the one LAST socket so I can plug in the front end wiring loom for towing....
(This part of the wiring is separate, plugs into rear of fuse box and piggybacks so I can fit an additional relay...

Any and all guidance appreciated.

Welcome to 120 ownership tlaw259.
Unless anyone has specific ideas, all I can say is persevere !
I had similar on my scv, and tried for several hours over the course of a few days, giving up, then going back to it. Several people have done this job with no reported issues, all I can say in my case is, that because the plug is in an awkward place and at an angle, I wasn't fully square on and depressing the tab. When it eventually came off and I tried it, the tab was very stiff to press down. No problem with the sliding action pulling apart. This maybe the same in your case. Swear a bit more and persevere mate !

Does it need to tap into something specific on that fusebox? What make is the kit - I don't think the Toyota one plugs in there does it?

I don't know the 120 but looking at the PDF you supply I'd just remove the carpet runner and pull the inner rear wing plastics for better access ,they are only held in place by plastic poppers on most trucks . If the plug is tight warm it a little .

Shayne, the OP is trying to do the plug in at the fuse box FRONT passenger side not the rear.
The loom he has will run under the door sill trim all the way to the rear, it can then be 'fished' over the rear wheel arch behind the plastic trim to exit for further connection in the jack cubby. No need to pull trim off.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I hate those instructions (worse than Ikea!) I can't even tell from that which plug its supposed to be using to piggy back off on the fusebox! From what I remember that fuse box has some connectors on the front and some on the back. Which one are you trying to pull - have you got visibility off it, or do you have to do it blind?

I know Toyota use several different types of locking mechanisms on their connectors - is it obvious from what you can see how to release it? Maybe you can tell from the new wiring loom because it has to fit into that!

My tow harness kit plugged into a white plug on the passengers side rear corner near the tail light, near where the jack lives.

Back