Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How to disengage, Stuck center diff lock?

Kamo

Country Flag
norway
Hei Guys, i borrowed the car to a friend, after he delivered it back it looks like the center diff is stucked engaged on. The light signalization of center dif is off so he wasnt aware of it. The car is weidly slowing down in the turns, and in sharper turns the weels attept to spin, si it should be diff lock. I tought the center diff can be enganged just with low gear,
i mean if you put it to Low gear the center diff angages as well, but now it is stuck on high gear. Never happened to me before.
I got advise to try to get it loose by driving backwards on grawel road in zig zag pattern(figure8) in a bit of speed. Will deffinitely try that in a while, hope it will do, but if not, any other tipps how to deal with it? I have 1998 100 series.
And i have one more question, what is diferrence between engaging the button with symbol of central diff lock, at the right side under the steering wheel. And the transmision lever H/N/L if put to the L gear? Do they do the same just one is electronicaly engaged and the other manualy?
Thanks for help and any sugestions...

Hi Kamo
If there is no light on sounds like there is a problem with the centre diff selection, ie the bulb has gone or the switch is faulty, but you need to check that the relay is engaging as if the relay is not engaging and operating the diff solenoid but the advice is right but try both in High and Low going backwards as well as forward.

But your last question the switch on the centre of the dash operates the centre Diff and the one under the steering wheel is for the rear Diff, but you mention about High and low, the centre diff will work in both H&L but the rear will only work in Low (unless the mod has been done)
Steve

Further to Steve's explanation, also worth noting that selecting the Low ratio gearing will automatically lock the centre diff (and enable you to manually lock the rear axle diff).
You can't operate the Low ratio with open centre diff... it locks and iirc, the orange centre diff dash light illuminates once you select Low ratio too.

One other way to release the locked transfer case diff would be to raise all wheels at once (four post ramp if you can access one) and 'drive' the vehicle with all wheels lifted... this should allow the diff lock to release, provided the switching is all functioning ok of course.

Thank you guys for explaining me what does what.
I fixed it pretty much instantly. I never used the locked center dif button. And that was on. I have propably gone light on dash for center diff. So i didnt noticed it at first. Happy that it was that easy fix.
One more question i would know the answer to tho: so by pushing center diff lock button, the 100%power will divide to front and rear axle by 50-50%
As 100 series is full time 4x4, how is the 100%power divided to the axles when i dont push the center diff lock?
My gues 40front 60 back, is it right?
Thanks, appreciate your help.

Back