Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I had a wobble issue! Problem solved.

LC80series

Country Flag
ecuador
Hi all,
Like the title says, I solved my wobble problem. Here are the steps I did, hoping it may help some of you.
I bought my truck 18 months ago and since the beginning I had intermittent wobble at around 45-50 mph. Nothing intense, just annoying. I had stock tire size p275/70R16 and stock suspension.
- A year ago I changed the tires to BFG K02 P285/75R16. I noticed that the wobble got worst but still nothing too alarming.
- So last month I decided to tackle the problem hoping for the best.
- I changed to steering damper (which was not working properly anymore) and checked the alignment. Both wheels where parallel so I did not touch the adjustment. I also tightened half a turn the steering adjustment screw in the steering box. The steering improved but the wobbling continued.
- Then I changed all 4 shocks absorber and I decided to adjust my alignment with a little bit of toe-in. Since the truck was on blocks with no tires on, I clamped 2 straight edges 8 ft. long one on each disc. I measured two the distances between the bars one at the edge of the disc and one at the end of the bars. After adjustment, the toe-in was .100 inch.
- I changed the tire pressure from 36 psi to 38 psi. Note that this is the pressure I use for highway driving. I air-down when I’m off-road.
- Finally I rotated the tires like so:
Front left to rear right
Front right to rear left
Rear left to front left
Rear right to front right
Yesterday was my driving test and to my surprise, no wobbling at highway speed. I don’t have the same truck anymore! It drive smooth and handles better in curves. Direction is also much more precise.
Drove it back into the garage and opened a beer to celebrate!
I cannot pinpoint one change I did to solve my problem, it is probably a combination of all of the above, but they are all related. Maybe drinking a lot of beer would have eliminated the wobble for a while, but I don’t recommend this solution!
Cheers

Hi Frank, Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. I agree with you that the toe-in adjustment is probably the principal factor that solved my problem. It is also rewarding that every change I do on my truck contributes to knowing it more. Mechanic is simple and logical. We just need to follow the lead.
Cherrs

Back