Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ignition, oil and heater warning lights.

Picon Biere

Hi All.
Im somewhat embarassed to ask this question but can someone tell me where the above warning lights are on an 84 BJ40 3 litre diesel 4 speed. Handbrake light and 4 wd drive lights are there but not ignition or oil pressure. Ive got max Ellerys factory workshop manual but it does not cover the two dash panels ie speedo and heater, stop lever etc etc. We are hoping to use the vehicle for a 6 week tour round the east block in May. Thanks in advance:oops:

Hi,
Don't be embarrassed. On my 40, which has been modified, I don't have either an ignition light or oil light. but thinking about others that I've been in.... neither do they. 4WDrive - look where the lever is and if you are not sure move it around (engine off) in accordance with the label on the glove box. Ignition light... turn the key - towards you with the button on the column down oprates the glowplugs (14-19 seconds) until the little grille below the light switch glows. Forward to start. make sure your oil pressure gauge line is connected and read the dial.
they did a lot of upgrades to the 40s in the early 80s so you may have extra info lights.... but I doubt it, other than the ones you have mentioned - handbrake light and a 4WD light - that's luxury!!
Good luck on your trip. For your trip - grease it; change the oil and fuel filter; check your tracking and have a good time - these trucks are made to get you back!!!
Regards,

Thanks for your reply. Im sure there is an oil pressure light somewhere as there is an oil pressure sender in the block. However its too cold to go out and fiddle with it so I will wait for some decent weather.
Regards

Agreed, there is a sender on the block but as far as i'm aware it only feeds the oil pressure gauge - left hand one of the 4 on your dash. I've never seen an oil pressure light on the 40 but I could be wrong. if you find one please let me know.
Regards

Back