Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Input Shaft Float

IRLGW

Does anyone know what (if any) float is acceptable on the input shaft of the gearbox? The FSM doesn't mention it and I cannot remember having float on any gearboxes I changed before on other cars, but every one is different. Perhaps someone with more experience or who has done a few lc80 clutches can shed light.

I seem to have about a 0.5- 1mm of play all round and the box seems a bit rattly since it was re-assembled. This could be something to do with the release bearing or clutch fork but keen to know about shaft float before I take it apart again.

Last edited:
There will be some up and down movemant at the end of the input shafy as the front bearing will have some play and the rollers in the output shaft ditto. The front of the input shaft is supported by the bearing in the crankshaft........isn't it? Did you assemble your own gearbox?

Frank

Thanks frank,

Sorry by re assembled I meant put gearbox back after changing clutch. Glad to hear that there is some float so I'm back to release bearing then. Pretty sure I put it in ok but need to be sure to be sure. Actually, if I had of tried the box before installing the transfer box I would have picked it up sooner. Next time I think i would just put in 4 bolts and test the clutch system before completing the job. Anybody else got the rattles after a new clutch install?

Problem identified as the selctors:oops: I think the noise was more apparent due to having the interior trim removed over the tunnel. holding the gear lever to one side stops it. My father had a similar problem (only worse) on a hiace once and he suggested I check that out first. Not sure what the solution is though maybe just pack it with grease?

Back