Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Kids, these days

clivehorridge

Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
romania
At 4:00pm today (Saturday) we had the Childrens' Christmas Concert, hosted by my 8 yr old daughter's school. Very enjoyable, I must say. The kids had been practicing for weeks, learning songs, recitals, monologues and the like. None of them appeared to be nervous standing in a spotlight all alone on stage holding a mic with 100 odd folks in the audience.

They even enjoyed it, and put their hearts and souls into remembering their lines and delivering their pieces with courage and meaning.

Soon after the performance, I saw my wife receiving (and sending) lots of WhatsApp messages, then she turned to me and said, the parents have spontaneously organized a meal at a restaurant tonight, do we want to go? Yes said I, why not. So she typed the address into the iPad and off we went.

It was 20km out of town at a very remote village, at a new complex built from funds raised from local businesses, to provide this run-down village with a community hall.

We got inside and it was very pleasant, all new and still not finished, but it was fully functional.

There was a bar, tables and chairs, and a pizza oven. A real one, brick built and big with the small opening where the chef slides the pizzas in and out with a long handled paddle thingy. To one side was another opening with a steel door, where from time to time the chef threw in another log to keep the wood fire at a regular heat. The kids loved it (kids always like pizza for some strange reason) so the chef gave them all plastic hair covers and invited them to help make pizzas.

Brave man, I thought, but the kids were well behaved and all joined in and they were fascinated that the pizzas were cooking by a log fire and not in a microwave or electric/gas oven, as they'd seen at home or the local pizza parlor.

The adults were served a cold meat and salads starter, and main was BBQ chicken, mici, sausages, ribs and baked hams (whole shoulders) with a host of side dishes (£10 a head was a steal, there was loads of food and drinks).

After the meal, the teacher stood for a moment and thanked everyone for the surprise night out, and of course the kids for putting on such a good show and making so much effort.

In the corner of the room was a tall heavily decorated Christmas tree, sparkling away. Suddenly, without announcement, all the kids jumped up and ran to the tree. None of the parents knew what was going on, us included, but there was Ana (our kid) up with all the others arranging themselves, tallest at the back shortest at the front, and some little ones (brothers and sisters) sat at the very front. They had their backs to the tree facing their parents at the tables.

It all went quiet, then without a word, they started to sing. It was a song they'd made up, sang to the tune of jingle bells, about their teacher, how strict but kind she was, and how they liked to be in school learning what they do.

I was gobsmacked TBH.

My memories of school when I was a kid, and my memories of the U.K. when I left in 2001, would not let me imagine that such a thing could, or would happen. The kids had planned this all by themselves, intending to perform it as the last number of the stage show at the school concert, but teacher had bundled them off the stage before they'd had a chance to perform it.

At the restaurant, they seized their moment.

Half the Mums and teacher were crying and the dads just couldn't believe it. It was quite a moment.

I'm not so sure where I'm going with this, maybe nowhere, it just happened.

Or maybe there's hope after all, in these "modern" times.

Magical Clive. Gotta wipe my eyes now and get rid of the lump in my throat. That's my day off to a cracking start. Thanks for sharing that. And bravo kids!
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

It's great when kids do things like that, shows how creative they can be without adult supervision.

Restaurant sounds amazing too.

Very cool story. Kids do have their moments when they knock you back and let you know they're more mature than you think they are.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
At 4:00pm today (Saturday) we had the Childrens' Christmas Concert, hosted by my 8 yr old daughter's school. Very enjoyable, I must say. The kids had been practicing for weeks, learning songs, recitals, monologues and the like. None of them appeared to be nervous standing in a spotlight all alone on stage holding a mic with 100 odd folks in the audience.

They even enjoyed it, and put their hearts and souls into remembering their lines and delivering their pieces with courage and meaning.

Soon after the performance, I saw my wife receiving (and sending) lots of WhatsApp messages, then she turned to me and said, the parents have spontaneously organized a meal at a restaurant tonight, do we want to go? Yes said I, why not. So she typed the address into the iPad and off we went.

It was 20km out of town at a very remote village, at a new complex built from funds raised from local businesses, to provide this run-down village with a community hall.

We got inside and it was very pleasant, all new and still not finished, but it was fully functional.

There was a bar, tables and chairs, and a pizza oven. A real one, brick built and big with the small opening where the chef slides the pizzas in and out with a long handled paddle thingy. To one side was another opening with a steel door, where from time to time the chef threw in another log to keep the wood fire at a regular heat. The kids loved it (kids always like pizza for some strange reason) so the chef gave them all plastic hair covers and invited them to help make pizzas.

Brave man, I thought, but the kids were well behaved and all joined in and they were fascinated that the pizzas were cooking by a log fire and not in a microwave or electric/gas oven, as they'd seen at home or the local pizza parlor.

The adults were served a cold meat and salads starter, and main was BBQ chicken, mici, sausages, ribs and baked hams (whole shoulders) with a host of side dishes (£10 a head was a steal, there was loads of food and drinks).

After the meal, the teacher stood for a moment and thanked everyone for the surprise night out, and of course the kids for putting on such a good show and making so much effort.

In the corner of the room was a tall heavily decorated Christmas tree, sparkling away. Suddenly, without announcement, all the kids jumped up and ran to the tree. None of the parents knew what was going on, us included, but there was Ana (our kid) up with all the others arranging themselves, tallest at the back shortest at the front, and some little ones (brothers and sisters) sat at the very front. They had their backs to the tree facing their parents at the tables.

It all went quiet, then without a word, they started to sing. It was a song they'd made up, sang to the tune of jingle bells, about their teacher, how strict but kind she was, and how they liked to be in school learning what they do.

I was gobsmacked TBH.

My memories of school when I was a kid, and my memories of the U.K. when I left in 2001, would not let me imagine that such a thing could, or would happen. The kids had planned this all by themselves, intending to perform it as the last number of the stage show at the school concert, but teacher had bundled them off the stage before they'd had a chance to perform it.

At the restaurant, they seized their moment.

Half the Mums and teacher were crying and the dads just couldn't believe it. It was quite a moment.

I'm not so sure where I'm going with this, maybe nowhere, it just happened.

Or maybe there's hope after all, in these "modern" times.
As with all things in life a few bad egg's give all a bad name. There are many good kid's about, well mannered and polite. It's lovely when every now and then something happens to just restore your faith in humanity.

“Only a child sees things with perfect clarity, because it hasn’t developed all those filters which prevent us from seeing things that we don’t expect to see.” Douglas Adams.

“That’s the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up.” Walt Disney.

“Truly wonderful the mind of a child is.” Yoda.

That sounds truly wonderful. Is that a normal state school, Clive?
Or how is the system there, do you have any private, international, waldorf or montessori schools in your area?

That really touches the spot Clive, they are obviously being taught the right way at that school.

That sounds truly wonderful. Is that a normal state school, Clive?
Or how is the system there, do you have any private, international, waldorf or montessori schools in your area?

We've got them all really, there's private and that includes such as Cambridge (for English) American, French, German etc., and the State Schools.

State is funded from the Tax & Social Security receipts, as is the U.K. and private costs about € 9k - 12k per term.

You might guess that Ana goes to a State school (cheapskates that we are), still, after all she's Romanian (first) and we think she should have Romanian schooling.

She gets quite a lot of extra schooling too, in music and sports, so she gets the best of what's going. Her school (no.11) has had a very good reputation for several decades, and it's hard to get a place there. We booked her in on the waiting list when she was 3 yrs old, just to make sure, and then it was a struggle when the time came.

I can't imagine, from the various posts we've seen about Ana and her school, a better place for a child to be at school. It's clear why the school has the reputation it has. She seems happy there as do her peers. Will she change school at 11 like kids do over here?

At 14, she'll go to high school, still state, but we have the choice of 2 with good reputations, locally, Rich.

Oh and what interested me, even the 3 naughty boys ( there's always some) joined in on the surprise for teacher. :lol:

“Only a child sees things with perfect clarity, because it hasn’t developed all those filters which prevent us from seeing things that we don’t expect to see.” Douglas Adams.

Kids understand everything , its a measure of your childhood whether or not you had to .

What a great story. Fantastic that the kids had the space and time to organise this, under the radar. We need more of this in the world. Education beyond just academics, and creativity beyond the nanny state.

I keep going back to these quotes. It is so important to put kids into an atmosphere that encourages them to grow and eventually excel in the direction they naturally are drawn to, rather than squeeze them all through the same dies to all come out the same confused, restricted mixed up people at the other end.

We try to work it on a basis of opportunities, Ana like all kids, shows an interest in something and we give her the opportunity to develop her skills (if any) in that direction. She became interested in the guitar and piano at about 5 yrs old, so she has lessons in both. She's still keen, so it will continue until she's not. If we're lucky enough that she learns how to read music, then I think she'll be able to turn her hand to most instruments, should she choose not to pursue the guitar and piano in the future. She may lose all interest in music, but until that happens we'll support her.

She asked if she could enter an "Olymp" in mathematics, which is a county competition. We said yes, of course, but entry was by examination which she took and made the grade.

She scored in the fourth band which is average, but remembering that only a few passed the entry level in the first place, we thought that wasn't such a bad effort. Anyway, it was her idea and she worked for it, all by herself, we didn't press her at all. She'd come from school, do her homework and then ask us to set her questions to ready her for the Olymp.

I never had homework when I was a kid of 8, but I did have a longer day in school than Ana does, which makes up for that I suppose.

Anyway, they teach the kids to be interested in things, which when it works, the rest comes more naturally. I don't remember being interested in anything at school, only when it was home-time.

I think I've figured where our kids interests are lol

20161217_160328.jpg

FB_IMG_1482086581866.jpg

Back