Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Little advice needed.

tony rodaway

Country Flag
uk
Hello guys.
I have been give a brand new set of side steps bought for a hilux.
My m8 now has sold the hilux for financial reasons.
My question is will the side steps fit my 120 if bought for a hilux.
Has anyone done this swop over and is it straight forward.
I will have to get my factory fitted ones removed and new ones replace them.
I understand i will have to get them wielded on but is it worth it.
They are the sliver tube type runners that are to be fitted.

I think you will find the floor plan/inner sill is different Tony, so the 120 brackets wont fit.
I bought some similar new sidesteps for a 150 at a giveaway price, knowing there would be differences. The length was good, but I had to fettle steel brackets to bolt to the chassis rather than inner sills that have been replaced. The ones for the 150 that fitted my 120 were 1800mm long, so if someone can give you anymore info from the Hilux, you will be good.

Tony, to measure the length on the 120, I went from directly from the back of the front mudflap to the start of the rear wheel arch. You wont have to put on ramps to get that.
Sorry if stating the obvious. Once someone can confirm Hilux measurement you have got a starting point.

The guy who gave me them also has a garage and may be able to make them fit.
I have had my original ones welded before a few times because of rusty brackets snapping.

Yer, the original are meccano style. The tubular s/s side steps I got came with good thickness steel brackets, I just extended/modified to fit chassis rails.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've always hated those puny side step supports, even on brand new vehicles there's a springiness about them and they really can't do the inner sills any good, if you are into fabricating new supports why not fit them in the same way rock sliders are done, with sturdy brackets around the chassis itself, could always add a frame hidden underneath those new steps making them a seriously solid peice of work.

The apocalypse is getting closer, carry on that reinforcing behind the front bumper too, you can thank me later when us survivors meet up :sunglasses:

No problem for someone with welding skills Tony, the total length of side steps is the deciding factor. As the replacement side steps are heavier than the originals, I decided to fix to chassis rails instead of normal inner sills location, as in previous post.

Ye been watching clips on YouTube and seems the better option to go to chassis.
From my original ones being welded after snapping a few times the chassis was my opinion even before i got them anyway.
After measuring my original ones which look to be 1760mm the new ones look to be 1890mm so bit of a difference.

Attachments

• 16441493293274303867893335413890.jpg
    16441493293274303867893335413890.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 16441493515093162428897284693038.jpg
    16441493515093162428897284693038.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 13
They look like the original side decorations as fitted to MK6 Hilux, have an identical as new set sitting in my garage from when i removed them and fitted a set of stainless steel steps.

Too slippery for us as steps in wet weather, hence why they got removed from my Hilux and replaced.
Try them wet and see if they're grippy enough for you mate, would hate to see you go to a load of trouble and be disappointed or worse the good lady slips off and does an ankle in.

Last edited:
Tony, You have answered your own question mate, with the measurements there. Too long.
As said my replacements were 1800mm and just fitted between the body wheel arches.

Agree with Juddian, as straight shiney s/s tube, they will be really slippy, mine are shaped with a lower section front and rear, which have a plastic type tread fitted by doors where you would step up to get in.
At one stage, I thought mine were going to be a bit long, despite me confirming measurement with supplier, and I did consider having each of them professionally cut with a section out of the centre, then using the appropriate size inner joint to reconnect together. May or may not suit you.
As it happened, mine were exactly the correct length anyway after a bit of jiggling to position them and start marking fixing holes in the rails.

Back