Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

MOT

J

jibberjabber

I have a weekly email from petrolprices.com this week there is an article about MOT's since the new rules came into force last year.

I couldn't help but put my tuppence worth in and post a reply comment, this is it.

"There are so many garages trying to drum up business with petty advisories, trying to scare customers into shelling out hard earned money for no reason.

I used to take my Toyota Land Cruiser to my local Toyota stealership for an MOT, and every year they would come up with nonsense advisories, my two favorites were, “Rear coil springs rusted, but not badly” (this was for three mot’s in a row) anything under the car is giong to have some surface rust in the UK, and the most unforgettable was “slight misting on OS front shock absorber”, front shocks get all the grime from the road, and that particular day it had been raining, when I got home I cleaned the shock with brake cleaner and it has stayed pristine ever since (this was three years ago), so it was a ‘slight misting’ on the road grime, these are only two examples of the many silly advisories I have had, just as well I know my way around cars otherwise I’d have wasted hundred of pounds.

Some of the worst offenders are the well known chains of tyre fitting companies.

Just rememberd this one, “had to adjust headlight leveling switch from position 1 to position 0 to level the headlight’s”

All this info is recorded for anyone to access on http://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history, so gives potential buyers ammunition to knock the price down, just because of a unjustified silly petty advisories.

For the last two years I have taken my car to my local ‘Council MOT Centre’ they don’t do repairs so are not interested in giving you silly advisories, only good advice.

Just Google ‘Council MOT’ in your area".

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep got the same on my 100 for past 4 mots garage cant make its mind up over surface rust on chassis chassis rusted or better still chassis badly corroded so its a case of Anal examiner covering his ass just incase

Back