Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

need help please,have a 1999 prado 90 auto,when pulling away Gearbox now holding gears and slow to shift and rarely now goes into 4th gear

Prado 90 Kildare

Country Flag
ireland
rarely goes into 4th gear,swithing the overdrive button to no effect,changed speed sensor on the autobox and ran perfect initially now back the same

gearbox had a solenoid set last year and fresh oil,anybody got ideas please >? love my PRADO but this testing my patience

Fluid level would be first thing to check. Remember this has to be done warm with the engine running.

If it's just delaying shifts it could be in ECT PWR mode. Otherwise it could be engine coolant temperature sensor, the ECU delays up shifts and torque converter lockup until the coolant is warm.

Otherwise check the kickdown cable from the throttle if your trans has one.

Adventure wagon,appreciate that,fluid level is fine,would the cooland temp sensor have that effect <? it should change up smoothly but is now changing up at 3000rpm and with a jolt,think it has kickdown cable but this hasn't been touched .
the jeep has PWR and 2ND switches but again not touched,the craxy thing is its intermittent but becoming more frequent

ive just done tyres brakes suspension timing belt batteries etc etc and never had an issue until now.
is the coolant temp sensor easy to get too>>?

appreciate your help

If it's intermittent and is clunky maybe grounding is an issue? But if it's not changing until 3k rpm then for some reason it thinks you might be accelerating, or at least demanding acceleration more than you actually are.

This motor does have a throttle position sensor which has been known to cause issues with shifts not in the right place (eg not shifting down when going uphill). It might be worth looking at this.

I don't know for sure about the coolant temp sensor but from what you say it's unlikely to be that. When cold mine up shifts about 2k rpm depending on demand.

How are the upshifts if you go from L to 2? Still clunky or smooth?

adventure wagon thanks for your prompt reply!!
ill try drive it later in L to 2 yep it normally changes up at 2k rpm to and is a lovely smooth auto normally its like the jeep thinks theres a 5 ton trailer behind it
any idea on location of throttle position sensor <>? a buddy has the same jeep so should be able too swap his and rule it out

really appreciate your help with this ,love the jeep,its rare because its passenger 90 ,got it in the UK last year still on UK plates

Throttle position sensor is at the back of the throttle body, directly opposite the throttle cable. If you google 5VZ-FE TPS you'll see a picture of what you're looking for.

Love mine too. That is rare for Ireland, most here are the 8 seater GXL, still lots of 90s about here.

And yes mine drives like it's towing a 5 ton trailer hahaha

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
where are you based <<?
my engine is the 3.0 diesel intercooler think its 1KZ engine ...does that still have a throttle position sensor>?
thanks

Oh dear sorry I think I've led you down the garden path. I'm in Australia. We do have the 1KZ Prado here but most 90 series about including mine are the 3.4L atmo petrol. If I recall correctly the 1KZ is 'throttle' by wire with an additional solenoid in the tranny for pressure control instead of a kickdown cable. So no TPS.

No garden path the 1kz-te also has an electronic fueling system so sensors are the prime suspect , mines a manual gearbox so i don't know but i'm sure this problem has been discussed and solved on the forum before .

A little reading led me to "shift solenoids" worth a google i reckon .

Back