Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

bob59

Country Flag
uk
we have owed our 1996 Toyota land cruiser Colorado LWB 3.0 TD diesel for almost 18 years, ( 2nd owner ) we have been hardly using the " the old girl " over the last 5 years,
she has had a real easy life ( no off roading )
I know I should have had her serviced more reguly, but as she always starts, & the little use she got, ( 35000 in 10 years ) we did not pay for her to get serviced.

I am 60 this year, so I have decided to keep the old girl & try & learn new skills, while the grey matter still in tac, & make a project of keeping her going.

I have no experience of car mechanics & would appreciate any recommendations or advice from experience members on this site, I will not know the
correct wording for parts etc but will try & learn as I go along,

weather permitting, & I can just still crawl under her ( no ramps ) I will perform a oil change this weekend, I have already purchased a Toyota oil filter & sump washer,
would anyone know what the torque setting is for the sump bolt ?

I also need the big hose that comes from the air filter as this is split open - Toyota want over £ 100.00 for this, is there some where else I can buy one or should I stick with Toyota ?

Hello Bob and welcome to the club.I'v no idea what the torque setting is for the sump plug , i just nip it up buy seat of the pants setting as i learnt as a youth..Also make sure you change the washer on the bolt.The air box intake pipe split on mine years ago & i just gaffer taped it up .every service i check the tape. You might be able to get something similar from a industrial supplies place? some photos of your Landcruiser would go down well in here - we love photos !

Hi Goodoldboy, Thank you for reaching out,
The gaffer tap is already on there , when I removed the air filter box, the rubber split even more, so it needs replacing, I have ordered one from rough trax,
as this was far less expensive to buy, how good they are , I don't know, I can only report back in due course,
oil change went okay, but have realised I'm not that supple any more,
The old girl does have an oil leak,
I think could be something to do with the power steering. picture attached is off a drip , is this power sterring ?
area around the sump, there seems to be some mastic I think ? it seem pliable, ( picture attached ) I did not want to scrap it off, in case more issue would occur, before seeking some advice , Any feed back on what this is ?

Attachments

• IMG_1467.JPG
    IMG_1467.JPG
    354.9 KB · Views: 31
  • fullsizeoutput_2e33.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_2e33.jpeg
    251.2 KB · Views: 33
No idea Bob .Have you checked the power steering reservoir ? does it meed topping up ? I'm not sure how mastic or silicone holds up in this case.Amy drip could be from the oil filtre holder as it has it's own drain pipe - the recess in the holder has a hole - this sometimes causes a drip.

Welcome bob , you will find pretty much everything you might need here RoughTrax 4x4: Europes Widest Range of Toyota 4x4 Parts - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

And if its been laid up unused for years good seals tend to dry out and leak so personally i like to add what some call snake oil and drive it like i stole it for a little while just to see what repairs itself before getting the spanners out .

Wynn's is my preferred brand of snake oil and with 3 cruisers i can't remember which has what in diffs , gearbox , engine , steering , though all had it in the fuel tank and i'm very confident its saved me time and money over the years .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hi Shayne,

Thank you for message,

that's the one I went for, being despatched to day, so it should arrive some time this week, glad I picked the right one,
Also ordered the Toyota landcrusier manual from them as well as they had in stock,

No idea Bob .Have you checked the power steering reservoir ? does it meed topping up ? I'm not sure how mastic or silicone holds up in this case.Amy drip could be from the oil filtre holder as it has it's own drain pipe - the recess in the holder has a hole - this sometimes causes a drip.

I decided to let the oil drain over night , after reading reviews,
I noticed the pipe which goes to the oil filter, I clean upped the oil filter area before replacing with new Toyota oil filter, ( wiped with a little of fresh oil before screwing on.) , so the oil filter was on over night,
The drip in the picture was cleaned & dried, that evening , with no new engine oil in the car, the drip was there when I inspected in the morning, before I refilled the car with oil,
The power steering reservoir has dirty oil in it, not a glue when this was last changed,,
I keep looking to see if I can manage to see anything obvious,

thank you one again for your response, much apprciated,

Welcome bob , you will find pretty much everything you might need here RoughTrax 4x4: Europes Widest Range of Toyota 4x4 Parts - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

And if its been laid up unused for years good seals tend to dry out and leak so personally i like to add what some call snake oil and drive it like i stole it for a little while just to see what repairs itself before getting the spanners out .

Wynn's is my preferred brand of snake oil and with 3 cruisers i can't remember which has what in diffs , gearbox , engine , steering , though all had it in the fuel tank and i'm very confident its saved me time and money over the years .
Hi Shayne,

being a total novice, I google the snake oil you have advised & see what it does & how to use it,

I be doing jobs at weekends, when able to do so, so please bear with me, on my replies to your advice,

thank you for your guidance,

Back