Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New to a Diesel engine

Country Flag
australia
I recently purchased the 2005 series with only 150K km on the clock and absolutely love it. I’m new to Diesel engines and would love to know more about the pros and cons of this particular engine and what preventative measures I should be taking to keep it running smoothly for as long as possible. Thanks!

Hi Ozzie, welcome to the forum. Being out there you will not be plagued by the dreaded rust that so many suffer. In a way it would have been better for you to ask the question regarding the d4d beforehand. Injectors/seals, scv, etc. If you look in the 120 section on here you will find loads of info that's been covered before. Some love them, some hate them with a vengence depending on experiences. Have a read and ask away !

Hey Tractionman, thanks for your response. My engine is the model before the D4D and hence the question as there is so much info about the D4D. I know mine doesn’t have the injector issues but it also has less power than the D4D. It seems to be a note basic engine which will have its pros and cons. I’m trying to connect with people who have experience and insight into this engine. There is heaps of great Info on here so I will keep reading around and asking questions. Thanks mate!

Hi Ozzy.
Your 3.0 litre non d4d engine i first encountered in a 70 series which was the first LC i owned.
Personally i prefer your version, the mechanical injection system proving totally reliable, ideal for low engine speed work, if yours is the same you will find it almost impossible to stall such is the almost unlimited low speed torque on hand.
Just keep it well serviced with fresh half decent oil, and in Oz you lads seem to have more nous than many over here when it comes to such things as oil servicing, and give the mere idea of extended service intervals a good ignoring. Renew the fuel filter(s) regularly, and enjoy how easy the cambelt is to change, all engines should be like this in that respect.

You have a 120 without D4D?, not sure we ever saw one of those in Britain, but then as close as you are to Japan anything is likely.
When i was seriously looking at importing a 120 direct from Japan, i noticed that you could have a 120 with the 3.4 petrol engine which as far as i'm aware was only available here in the 90 series, i had a 3.4 engined 90 and that motor is a peach. Japanese market have lots of vehicles we'd have been glad to see here, it really doesn't surprise me that you've got a 120 with the older (simpler/better imo) engine.

Hey Juddian, yeah it looks like we have a different version of the 120 out here and I’m pretty sure we have it in the petrol v6 as well. Great to hear it’s a reliable Diesel engine and Im lucky that my next door neighbour does all his own work to his own cars ans so now I can change my oil, oil filter and air filter regularly. I’ll learn more about the fuel filters as well. Thanks for the tip. And yeah I change oil about every 5K km. Everyone I speak to says the best thing I can do for it is change oil regularly.

So you had the 70 series with the same 3.0L turbo diesel engine as mine?

Many of the 70 series in Australia are a 4.5L turbo diesel V8. They are beasts.
Thanks again for all the info.

Juddian, here is a photo of the engine for you. Cheers

Attachments

• 1B8F2508-00CD-4E04-9BF3-A05A772B72C2.jpeg
    1B8F2508-00CD-4E04-9BF3-A05A772B72C2.jpeg
    400.6 KB · Views: 42
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Eat your heart out peoples.
Look at those injectors, can't leak and carbonise the oil leading to engine destruction cos they're on the outside where they should be, the slightest seepage will be instantly noticeable, no more difficult to remove than a set of spark plugs for cleaning/overhaul when the time comes.

I must be getting old, can't remember now if my 70 with the 3.0 litre had an intercooler radiator on top, i'm inclined to think not.
What i do remember is how distinctive was the whistl from the turbo spooling up from as low as 800rpm, i used to drive Cummins engined trucks back in the day and you had the same sort of sound and massive torque rise from a similar rpm, it was one of the first things that attracted me to buying my first Cruiser, knowing how well set up they must be having rapidly rising torque available from such low revs.
Do you find yourself driving by the sound of the turbo alone Ozzy, it was what i found myself doing, there's a similar turbo whine from a good running D4D but not to quite the same extent.

The 70 series and 4 runner (Surf elsewhere) were i believe the first vehicles to use the 3.0 litre, previously 2.4, in the UK the first 70's with the bigger lump arrived in '93 and 70 sales ended in i believe '95 when the 90 series started to appear.
That engine also ended up in some Hiace vans (also previously 2.4) , whether the 3.0 litre ever got fitted to square shaped Hilux of the time i couldn't say, certainly not any that appeared in the UK, we bought a new Hilux in 2007 with the 3.0 litre but that was the then new shape mk6, first seen as Vigo versions from around 2005.

Last edited:
Mate, that’s all so interesting. Sounds like you have driven and known a fair few of the Toyota Diesel engines. It’s really great to hear that the injectors are not an issue on the 1KZ. I hear it’s a real pain with the D4D in the Prado and Hilux which is the standard around here. I live in the mountains behind Byron Bay and the D4D is nearly every second car around here.

I see a few of the older 70 series around here that have been reconditioned. They look great.

Yeah I do drive a lot just off listening to the turbo but I’ve also got a real feel for the power and torque and I drive 35km to work every day through windy mountainous roads and can now drive most corners without braking as I know the power and speed required. Love it! Only thing is it’s a 4 speed auto and I miss the extra control of a manual.

Yeah I see a few of the Surf series around which are more of a vintage car around here.

The 79 series ute is also super popular in this region.

Photo of my LC attached. The more I’m learning about it the more I love it. Thanks for all your time on this.

Attachments

• 7DC0A51F-2F6F-4AB4-91CA-E96A00D16DB5.jpeg
    7DC0A51F-2F6F-4AB4-91CA-E96A00D16DB5.jpeg
    605.1 KB · Views: 42
Back