Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Newbe Introduction

BotswanaGuy

Hi all,

I just wanted to give a quick introduction as I have just joined the forum today.

I am a zoologist who just got back from spending the last 2 years in Africa. 1 year was spent in South Africa working with the Kalahari Meerkats, and the next year was spent in Botswana working with the large carnivores of the Okavango Delta. To get around our study sites, we were driving land cruisers, and I quickly fell in love.

Now I want to organise my own phd study on lions in botswana, and to do so I will need to buy my own LC. So I am here to learn more from you guys.

I just wanted to ask some advice from the forum about which models of toyota I should be considering. What I really need is a tough reliable car that is simple and relatively easy for a novice to keep moving. It needs to be a 4x4 with diff lock, and with a powerful engine with lots of tauq (sorry cant spell the word) to pull me through some thick sand and river crossings. Ideally it would also be easily converted into a soft top (i dont need a soft top, but i need the roof to come off so that i can stick a long pole out to track for our radio-collared animals, also, if the wind-screen can fold down that would help when driving off-road). Ultimately, it doesnt need to be a comfortable ride, it just needs to be tough and reliable.

Im thicking either the BJ/FJ series, the 20 series, the 40 series, or the 70 series. Do these sound like they fit my criteria?

Many thanks,

BotswanaGuy

Welcome, only one choice really, an 80 series.

Aw! You beat me to it!

But I'm not sure of the suitability for "lion fishing" out of the window on an 80. I haven't see many (any) ragtop versions yet, with fold-down windscreen, surely there's some out there...:think:

Which Toyotas were you driving there, any of them take your fancy?

Otherwise the trusty 80 fits all Botswana Guy's requirements. :auto-driving:

He doesn't need a soft top, he can poke his pole out the sunroof. lol

Back