Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Nuno from Portugal

NunoMelo

Country Flag
portugal
Hey guys,

Your name: Nuno Melo
Your Cruiser: Looking to learn more about land cruiser so I can decide what to buy as a project
Mods on your Cruiser: zero
Plans for your Cruiser: (I have a house in the mountains, in Serra da Estrela, and I would like to buy a landcruiser that is quite robust and reliable. I'll take care of the mechanics, to make sure it's good and then do some upgrades.
4x4 Experience: zero

I'm here to learn :)

I would probably go for a J120 or J100, any thoughts and those opinions?

Welcome to the club Nuno as a 100 driver myself I would say the 100 is a pretty good truck ok so it's got a few electrics on it and the only things that don't work are the rear diff locker and ariel so not bad for a 22 year old truck if you go looking for a 100 check that the rear locker works and not disintegrating as its around the £500 mark to renew some have had the inside of the rear wheel arch rust out because of the mud protection some have had rust issues with inner and outer sills a member called Bob Murphy is currently writing an encyclopedia on the repair on his truck if you see something you like push press switch every knob or button you see never be afraid to ask questions as there is a lot of knowledge here if you are unsure take pictures post them up and you will get some very good advice and take your time buying a truck as the one for you will come along in time one that you can enjoy driving on some adventure rather than on axle stands repairing someone elses bodged up mistakes

Hi Steve, Thanks for the information. I really like the 100 and the 120

in my case, the landcruiser will be our fourth car, so I'm not planning on doing many kms. However, I want a multifaceted car, which allows me to drive the highway with some comfort, but if I change the tires I want to have a good machine for difficult terrain. I also want to be able to change the car to make it a better machine. From what I've been able to understand so far, the 100 is better off-road, but less comfortable, do you agree? And in terms of reliability, which of the two is more reliable?

Probably either would do the job for you, but I'll fly the flag for the 120 as I have one.

120 is good on road, the LC3 has a rear diff lock, LC4/5 have traction control instead. I think LC4/5 have a push button for the centre diff lock, so you can have low range with an open centre diff.

Reliability - plenty of examples of reliable 100s and 120s on here, but both need regular maintenance. 120s are newer, but d4d engine has more electronics and early ones had problems with injector seats - probably all fixed by now.

We have to check them all for rust in the UK, not sure of the situation in Portugal!

Nuno the 100 is very comfortable both on and off road its got wide electrically heated and adjustable seats in the front adjustable steering wheel and as someone who suffers some serious hip and back pain the heated seats are wonderful as is the adjustability of the seats to get comfortable once you get it to the speed you want engage the cruise control and drive all day get out the other end relaxed if you see a 100 for sale take it for a test drive you don't have to buy it same goes for the 120 when you have driven both then make your mind up best advice I can give you buy with your head not your heart

Thanks for the replies. I still have some time to think, as I will hardly find the car in Portugal, so I am thinking of importing it from another EU country. Also, I want to have time to study the models and the modifications I intend to make.
Plus, I don't know much about all terrain.

Karl, do you think a rear diff lock would work better than the traction control?
I'm more used to sports cars and when you want to get the most out of it you have to turn off the traction control. I don't know if all terrain is the same.

Thanks Steve, I'll look forward to an opportunity to drive both. Have you had the opportunity to drive both on road and off-road? what are the differences you notice?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think for serious off road a rear diff lock is probably better. But Im not sure it's that easy.

If you know you will need the diff lock, you can turn it on and you will get the benefit. The traction control is obviously reactive so will only kick in once a wheel has been detected to have lost grip.

Traction control has the advantage that it can kick in automatically and save you, even if you didn't know you were about to have a grip problem.

Don't think I'd make a decision based on that (you can always add lockers later) unless you've got a load of excellent trucks to pick from.

On the 120, you can't turn off the traction control - not officially anyway...

Only driven the 100 but years ago had a import Hilux Surf and a Dihatsu 4track both excellent vehicles some of the cruiser family of vehicles are based on the Surf chassis and running gear so you have another option for spares

Back