Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oil change, used oil very low viscosity

Rob

Garage
I changed the oil in my Volvo today and when draining the oil it came out like it was water. I was very surprised at how low viscosity the oil was. It was semi synth 10w40 in a high performance engine so not ideal but I only put the cheap stuff in as I had a huge oil leak for a few months. Any ideas as to why it was such low viscosity? Anything I should be worried about?

Do you have any of the can left that you used to fill it with so you can compare the viscosity between then and now.

Steven, yes I buy the oil that came out in bulk as I use it in the LC and pretty much everything else I have owed and serviced and it has always come out in similar viscosity as when I put it in. Even though the cheap 10w40 oil is appropriate for use in the Volvo I usually use 5w40 fully synthetic as it is a high performance engine but as I said earlier, it had a huge oil leak so no point wasting the expensive stuff. I think I had to top up 10 to 15 litres in just under 4k miles so would be been pretty expensive to run it on 5w40.

Its a turbo petrol BTW.

Unless more oil came out than you put in I wouldnt be too worried. Was the oil changed while the engine was hot and you normally do it cold? the oil will be thinner hot than cold.

I always change the oil when the engine is hot. Volvo sold now so not really worried.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back