Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Olympic pedal bike racing

Graham

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Whats all this about?

Is there not the equivalent of "Queensbury " rules some where?
Or is this a reflection of Michael Schumacher's incident at La Rascasse in Monte Carlo 2006 all them years ago.?

Briton Philip Hindes - deliberate crashing?

Gra.

It was within the rules and none of the other teams have objected and more importantly the governing body has made no comment. In fact there were several other similar incidents earlier on too......it seems to be a relatively common occurrence at the start.

Although it is perfectly within the letter of the rules for a rider to fall to the floor within a certain distance to ensure a restart, some from outside the cycling world wondered whether it broke the spirit of the rules.

British Cycling sprint coach Jan van Eijden defended Hindes, saying he was not able to control the bike and simply fell off.
"He just tried too hard to get out of the gate, he lifted the front wheel," he said.
"It didn't influence anyone else, it didn't affect the drawing and you saw before there were two mishaps before and no one said anything about that."

You *might* argue that doing it deliberately isn't within the spirit of the rules......but considering what is at stake, I can't blame them. I'm sure other countries would be using every single advantage available to them too, in these circumstances.

My 2 pc. ;)

Back