Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Only in Africa ...

It was posted on FaceBook by our very own Matt Wright, or his missus maybe.

Well it was (Greenpoint staduim) still there when I last flipped over the peninsular..

CT1709201026.jpg

John,

No point feeling sorry, the Nigerians only moved in because the local people let them.
When were you last in Jo'burg?

Gra.

A very long time ago. I would have gone last year if it wasn't for my wife's condition. I hear Yeoville has been cleaned up. Hope so, because Rosebank is way too posh for my liking. I am yet to learn what Nigerians contribute to the state of the Republic, except for undercutting the local labour market by offering their services for next to nothing, along with every other freeloader across Africa. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind anyone wanting to make a life for themselves in South Africa (The Boers and the Brits did it for years). What I do mind, is when people come to SA to make a life for themselves at the expense of everybody else. Black South Africa (along with a fair few white) fought long and hard for the liberation of their country only to watch it be undermined by others too greedy, corrupt and power hungry to care about the very notion of a viable civil society.

My Yeoville was a microcosm of that very society. It wasn't perfect but it was a awful lot better than the Nigerian alternative, which quite frankly has failed as a model right across Africa. The same goes for the spineless populace of Zimbabwe. If I had my way, I'd kick everyone of them out of SA and force them to sort out the mess in their own country, instead of making a mess of somebody else's and that's why I'm so pissed off. I want to build up South Africa for the long term benefit of ALL AFRICA while others only wish to destroy for the short term benefit of themselves.

John

Hi John

I am sorry to hear the wife isn't too well.

I had some people I knew in Jo'burg, to be honest it was not a place I enjoyed going, but because the outgoing wife had a sister there, meant, we had to go.
Now I am sure there are nice parts of Jo'burg, don't get me wrong, but this wasn't one of them.

It was an out of the way sort of place, Lenasia it's called if you know, , some where just a bit more south than Soweto, so guess you kind'a know what it could be like.
Not far from the Southgate shopping mall, I seem to remember.
Any way, going out of a night was strictly off the cards, until one night we were late coming back from visiting some of her family.
Kaking myself, no street lighting, boulders and bricks placed in teh road, trying to get motorists to stop, to rob them.

Thank F$%^K I don't have to go there ever again.

Some times John, it is better to just remember the memories of what it was like, because if you go back, then you can be so very shocked at to what it would be like now.

I remember Adderley street, the main street through Cape Town, I remember it when I left in 1979.
Then I returned in 1999.
Oh my god, what a different place.
So damn scruffy, like a real shit hole.
Just ruined all them happy picture memories of teh place I grew up in, and played around.
Blew them all away into the reeds,

Gra.

Graham

One of my best friend lives within earshot of where Hector Petersen was martyred in Soweto and I know what you mean about driving at night in the Townships but once you know the rules (ie: there are none) and apply a bit of common sense, it isn't impossible.

Cape Town is all well and nice with some wonderful real estate. I've got some mates who run a watersport shop (Zero) in District Six but apart from the fact that the Cape is only good for chilling your beers, CT is drop dead boring (where old rich white people go to die) while Jo-Burg is Africa's version of New York City. There you have to live by your wits and have eyes in the back of your head. It's vibrant, deadly and so much fun.

I hope one day to expand my business of event photography to South Africa, using Midrand as a base but my yard will be in Jo-burg and BTW: I'll be driving a Landcruiser (only this time diesel with conventional shocks and springs)). Currently there is very little infrastructure serving auto LPG in SA which is a real pity. I just wish I could understand why the 4.2 returns such a poor mpg?

John

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back