Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Possible alternator upgrade?

Yatys93

Country Flag
australia
In the process of fixing then upgrading my 98 prado, have already added a second battery in the rear for my fridge and upcoming camp lights and maybe inverter to charge batteries (camera, drone) also debating adding a 2nd starter battery under the hood to give me extra breathing room for high power draw items getting added later, spot lights on the bull bar, light bar on the roof rack and a winch to name the big offenders, wondering if 3 batteries would need a stronger alternator to charge properly, or if I’m just thinking too much into it and 2 batteries will be fine

I replaced my stock alternator with a 120amp
Witch is available from most auto parts stores i am in australia and i used bursons auto parts
I have dual batteries and have wired my rear fridge socket straight to a deep cycle battery and used a red arc dual battery kit
It is simple after approx 1 min of ign turn off it switches from start battery to aux so i always have a start battery
Cn be humped by pressing a button on the newer systems that would allow both batteries to start
Lucky you in our state in Aust we can not put any forward facing light more than 150mm above the centre of your headlights or any tear facing unless switched by your reverse lights
Our roadworthy every year is getting a little harder

I replaced my stock alternator with a 120amp
Witch is available from most auto parts stores i am in australia and i used bursons auto parts
I have dual batteries and have wired my rear fridge socket straight to a deep cycle battery and used a red arc dual battery kit
It is simple after approx 1 min of ign turn off it switches from start battery to aux so i always have a start battery
Cn be humped by pressing a button on the newer systems that would allow both batteries to start
Lucky you in our state in Aust we can not put any forward facing light more than 150mm above the centre of your headlights or any tear facing unless switched by your reverse lights
Our roadworthy every year is getting a little harder
I was thinking the same, seen both a 120 and a 150 upgrade option, need to sit down once I pick parts and actually do the math on what I need, I’m also in Aus jumping through hoops to get this thing rego’d again, the rules over here are just crazy, which state are you in?

Currently I have the normal starter battery, plus a 120 ah deep cycle in the back, just hooked up with a simple vsr so when the starter battery drops below 13.3 I think the cut off is the relay just disconnects them, simple but it works, I’d like to in the future upgrade it to one with a override switch on the off chance my starter dies but I have a jump starter already, so it’s pretty low on the to do list

I am in NSW on the central coast and just got out of mechanics at easter this is the hardest area on rego inspections in Aust so yes i hear you any old vehicles are absolutely scrutinised so hear is some more info for you about 12to 18 months ago all nsw police had to undergo the automotive rego examiners course so now they do no some stuff
And are booking left right and centre so i could not fail led lights on your roof basket at rego time or any light thats not a parker or clearance light that is 150mm above the centre line of your headlights
But they can pull you over and defect your vehicle
We then had to clear it via an inspection
Backwards or what
Good luck with it all

Back