Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Power Steering for 1976 HJ45

Ben Stratford

Supporter
Country Flag
england
New Member here, without a cruiser presently. Seeks a BJ42 RHD with power steering. An HJ45 is available but without power steering. Is there a "normal" route for installation of power steering to the HJ, parts from a later FJ/HJ perhaps? Are they interchangeable? Is the conversion easy?
Thanks, Ben

Hi Ben,
Welcome to the forum.
To find a BJ42 RHD with ps you will probably need to look in Oz - most 42s were built for Oz and they were 12volt.
An HJ45 without ps is an early one but you should be able to fit the ps unit/belt, etc from a later one as they were effectively the same engine 2H but the early ones were only 3.6(?) litres not 4.
They may be interchangeable as the set up is very similar but the question may be whether a double pulley for the crank end is available for a 3B engine and the 2H and 3B parts are not interchangeable.
Alternatively you could have the electronic assist from a Corolla re-programmed.

Hope that helps, good luck with your search

Regards,

Hi Ben and welcome I have a Fj 45 and Fj 40 with hj60 runing gearing in them and I love the old 49's from Tony.

Many thanks guys, yes I too love the 40 series. Unfortunately the target vehicle is no longer available. Missed out on a lovely HJ60 Sahara recently too. Will have to continue the search for a rust free 40 / 60 series RHD. I nearly pressed the go button on a BJ42LX from Brisbane at AU$16000 but with all the shipping and fees coming in at nearly another $10000, it was looking like £14k which was a big risk sight unseen with no guarantees. Hence the search for a vehicle already in UK. Unfortunately patience isn't something I was born with !!

Hi Ben,

The LX was the highest spec 40 series and came with aircon, p/steering, and loads more and they are quiet rare. Search out a original test/review. Once read it maybe worth reconsidering. What guarantees are you expecting on a 30 odd year old vehicle? Get the owner to photograph the usual rust collection areas on the body and decide then. The areas are : rear body cross member; lower front valence, wings, bottom of doors, sills and windscreen surround.
If you are not sure when you have them, put them up and guys on here will tell.

Regards,

Many thanks guys, yes I too love the 40 series. Unfortunately the target vehicle is no longer available. Missed out on a lovely HJ60 Sahara recently too. Will have to continue the search for a rust free 40 / 60 series RHD. I nearly pressed the go button on a BJ42LX from Brisbane at AU$16000 but with all the shipping and fees coming in at nearly another $10000, it was looking like £14k which was a big risk sight unseen with no guarantees. Hence the search for a vehicle already in UK. Unfortunately patience isn't something I was born with !!
Hi you still looking for a 40/45 ?
Send me a message maby I got something for you.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Tony and Roger, the dye has now been cast with the acquisition of an HJ61 from up north.
LOTS and LOTS to do on it and the hunt for parts is well underway.
It's booked in for the body work repairs in June but it's MOT'd and in daily use at the moment.
A full service and belt replacement has been completed so far - and a good clean.
HJ61.jpg

Thanks Tony,
The job list so far:
New leaf springs from Milner Off Road - fronts have arrived but rears are out of stock at present.
New shocks came with the car - New items from Toyota.
Today a NOS tailgate lower section arrived from Saudi Arabia of all placed complete with Toyota stickers etc.
Next Wednesday rust free rear doors, front right inner wheel arch, NOS rear bumper and number plate light bezel and rear left wheel arch panel should arrive from Cruiser World - Holland, oh, and 2 x window motors and an indicator unit.
Ordered today rear window grilles and upper tailgate gas struts and a new 4WD badge.
So lots to be getting on with. I need to make the panel out of 4mm plywood that covers the lower tailgate then get a carpet made to cover it.
Gearbox / transfer box / diffs need oil replaced, not too sure about this step so need to do research - whether there are any filters and what type of oil to use. Any feedback welcome?!
There is a knocking noise from the front left wheel when bumping up a kerb on full lock so too much play in something. Really, all the bushes need to be replaced with polybushes and the bearings all need to be investigated.
Some welding required to front cross members, rear inner wheelarches and rear left outer wheelarch - booked in for mid June.
A diesel leak may just be a rubber item or something else?
The rear axle bump stops are missing and the spare wheel chain mech is broken.
Once all done I will sell the BMW and drive this awesome truck 75 mile daily to Cornwall and back.
One day want a galvanised chassis and respray - don't we all!!

Hi Ben,

Good looking truck and welcome to the world of 2H.
Re the types of oil and quantities, the following may help: (no filters as far as I'm aware)

manual g/box SAE 80W or 90W gear oil - 4spd = 3.5 litres or 5spd = 4.9 litres

Transfer box SAE 80W or 90W gear oil - with m/trans 2.2 litres

Diffs SAE 80W-90 hypiod gear oil - Front = 3 litres Rear 2.5 litres

The diesel leak is usually the flex pipe between the chassis mounted pipe and the engine mounted pipe. And the knock on the steering is probably a tie rod end.

Hope that helps. There is a Haynes workshop manual for them. The ISBN number is: 1 56392 372 6
It is a Haynes North American product so the internet is probably the best bet.

oh and welcome

Regards

Hi Ben I have a new spare wheel holder it's £70 + p and p if it helps. From Tony .

Hi Ben,

Good looking truck and welcome to the world of 2H.
Re the types of oil and quantities, the following may help: (no filters as far as I'm aware)

manual g/box SAE 80W or 90W gear oil - 4spd = 3.5 litres or 5spd = 4.9 litres

Transfer box SAE 80W or 90W gear oil - with m/trans 2.2 litres

Diffs SAE 80W-90 hypiod gear oil - Front = 3 litres Rear 2.5 litres

The diesel leak is usually the flex pipe between the chassis mounted pipe and the engine mounted pipe. And the knock on the steering is probably a tie rod end.

Hope that helps. There is a Haynes workshop manual for them. The ISBN number is: 1 56392 372 6
It is a Haynes North American product so the internet is probably the best bet.

oh and welcome

Regards
Great Info re Oils - thanks Roger. Is the hypoid gear oil different from the gearbox oil or can the same be used?
looking at the manual I downloaded - the 720 page Toyota one, GL4 or Gl5 are stated for both?

I now believe having looked at the data plate that the truck is an HJ60 not a 61. It has the rectangular headlights and is 1989 model but the older 3980cc 2H engine - the manual seems to confirm this.

Could anyone advise how I tell if I have a semi floating rear axle or otherwise please?

Cheers Ben

I'm not 100% sure but I believe the easy way of telling is from the outer flange: if it HAS cone washers then it is a fully floating axle if no cone washers then it is a semi.

Perhaps someone could confirm, just to be sure.

Regards,

Hi Ben r you combing to Lincomb for a bit of a meet up from Tony end of may.

Back