Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear Fog lights not working

ram

Hi all, haven't been on the forum for a while due to the 80 being SORN for the last 2 years. Going to take it for MOT this week as soon as i have sorted out the rear fog lights which refuse to come on despite renewing both the bulbs, checked the fuse box and despite saying fog lights on the fuse box cover, where the fuse should go,it is empty, there are no contacts there or metal prongs where the fuse sits.
Very confused so any help will be really appreciated.
Thank you in Advance

Hi Ram, on my HZJ 80, the fog lights are only energized when the dipped headlights are on, so when checking for fog lights on the driveway make sure the headlamps are switched on…

Hey Ram long time no see , hope you are doing well .

Wasn't your 80 imported many years ago ?

Do you remember the fog light working because i'm thinking its not a requirement in some countries so your truck may never have had one .

Adding to Shayne's comment.....
Where are your fog lights ? UK 80's had them in the lower tailgate but from memory imports often had them fitted below the bumper at the point of UK registration ...
If the latter then they could be wired up not using factory live feeds etc ....hence your fuse position being empty .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I can't imagine any import being not compliant with MOT regs. Perhaps check the LC out and also the MOT regs. My local tester always helps me out on questions.
Having said that, if the LC has fog lights fitted I assume they worked at one time.

As Shayne and Grimbo said, my hdj81 has an aftermarket rear fog mounted in the middle of the swing out spare. I had to replace the lamp holder (corrosion) and trace back the non loom wiring to a switch on the dash. This had an inline fuse holder under the right hand side of the dash.

Apart from the obvious need for one to be fitted, my MOT days were basically if it is fitted it must work.

An interesting note though, many years back then windscreen wipers or was it washers, were not on the checklist. :icon-biggrin:

Regards

Dave.

Did you find your answer Ram? Got the same issue

It’s got a towbar port/socket yes
On some trailer sockets they fitted a switch for the fog lights, so when the plug was in, it cut off the fog lights on the car and over time this switch sticks or the contacts corrode, so you loose your fogs on the car.
I had this on my 100 series so I removed the socket and fitted one without the switch but at the time they supplied a electronic device that when the trailer lights were detected it cut the car lights, and a lot more reliable.

Hmm, that’s good to know.
is there a way to by-pass that switch? Or is housed within the socket assembly?

Hmm, that’s good to know.
is there a way to by-pass that switch? Or is housed within the socket assembly?
It can be by-passed but it would mean that if towing a caravan and you had the fogs on you would just have a red glare
in the rear view mirror

I never tow. Happy to make the sacrifice. Would you know how?

I never tow. Happy to make the sacrifice. Would you know how?
It is a very easy thing to sort out, but first you need to determine if that is the problem.
So remove the three screws from the socket and slightly pull the socket towards you and
check if you have power on pin 2 when the fogs are on, if you have then then the socket
is poss the problem, so if you look you will have two pins close together near pin 2, one will
be the live from the fog switch and the other will be the connection to the fog lights, you just
need to connect these together and you will have sorted it.
Just one thing before you start is buy three new screws to fasten the socket back on as in my
experience you will end up braking the screws that are original

Back