Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Returning Cruiser

BearBio

Country Flag
united_states
Retired Wildlife Biologist in Central Washington (Live at the base of the Cascades) after 20+ years of Federal employment. Previously 25+ years in a Real Estate related industry.

Age 71

Previous Experience: '83 FJ40, stock with bolt-ons. Moderate off-road experience (got stuck a couple of times=once you're stuck in an FJ, you are STUCK!) Did the Mojave Road and several mountain and desert trips. "Pioneered" a path through the San Gabriel Mountains (Transverse Ranges) in So Cal from San Berdoo County Line to Malibu without more than a mile of pavement at a time (90%+ dirt roads). Couldn't get smog issues solved.

Currently: '69 FJ40 with a 350 chevy. Working on bolt-ons, stereo, auxiliary tank, returning to stock rims and hubcaps. Nicknamed "Mud Sloth" (Sloths are the only mammals that are naturally green).

Other 4WD have included: Subaru Brat (OK, my first), '85 Toyota P/U (300K), '96 Bronco, Jeep Cherokee (real POS), Scout, Pathfinder (2 of them), Currently a minorly modified Frontier and my wife's Xterra (~200K).

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 33
Your Cruiser is in great shape ! I had a ‘79 & a ‘74 (FJ40’s) when l was just a sprout. Own a ‘67 FJ-45 at the present time. Did you do all the conversion (engine) work yourself ?
Back in the day with the ‘40’s l was always ordering parts from your nick of the woods... Downey, Man-A-Fre, Spector Off-Road.
Like yourself, I’m retired also from UP Railroad. Love seeing the older Cruisers, and people like yourself restoring them !
They’re classics.

Back