Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Roll cage,

darran1966

Country Flag
great_britain
My 1983 FJ is fitted with a roll cage, the cage goes from the rear wheel tubs, has a main hoop, hoop around the roof area over the seats with two bars above you head that attach to the front hoop..hope that makes sense lol. The front hoop is attached to the floor area at the front of the door openings...... this hinders the climb in and out for passenger and driver, which is not really a problem however the strange thing is, when the doors are closed you cannot wind the windows up or down.
Would I be correct in saying this roll cage is from an earlier model FJ......... it’s going to have to go.

Regards
Darran.

Afaik oem roll bars were only behind the front seats and not to the front.
Yours might be a custom made.

IMG_0244.JPG

elsie2-jpg.37844.jpg

Hi Darran,
It sounds like your roll cage is like mine, which was built to FIA competition standards and has the floorpan sandwiched with extensions down to the chassis. The front part has had the dash pad cut so that it sits very close but we can lower the windows.
The cage, as per @Firewout, is standard for a 40 and, as far as I am aware, a full cage as we both have, was never an option.

Regards,

Rodger

Hello,
Rodger,your cage is more substantial than the one I have, you have a lot more bars.
Firewout, my hoop is similar to yours but the bars in the rear of mine are straight from the cage to the wheel tubs.
Looking at my cage it was either fitted with the roof removed or welded once in position.
I had a look in the daylight before work this morning, I think I will remove the front section leaving the main hoop and rear supports due to the seat belt upper mounting.
With some carful cutting and grinding it shouldn’t be too difficult

Regards
Darran.

Back