Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Speed sensor code help

Jimmeh081

Country Flag
australia
Hey guys I have a speed sensor code coming up.
It just came back from toyota and they had no idea what is going on with it.

I did have a bit of an oopsie and accidentally cut the speed sensor wire behind the dash and wire my reverse camera to it. Once i Fixed that issue the code came up. I replaced the harness i cut just incase and still appears.
Changed the clock spring because i was looking at wiring in some steering wheel controls at the time.
My question is if anyone has any knowledge on something that i can look at?
I saw something about resetting the steering angle sensor?

Cruise control won't work and it feels as its lost power uptop

What's the code? The more detail the better!

You changed the clock spring because you looked at the steering wheel wiring?

sorry had to double check the code.
Its PO500
I changed the clock spring just incase as it seemed a bit crappy.
I unplugged and tugged at a couple of the wires going into the clock spring. The plug wouldnt unclip for me easily
i can clear the code whilst i have started the car and it will not come back on.
I turn off the car, turn back on the car drive 100metres and its back on. Then can clear it and it will stay off until the car gets restarted.

I've only got experience of this on the 120, but.....

1. Did you end up touching the speed sensor wire at all? Above says you cut it, but then replaced the harness. Did you have to tap into it for your reverse camera?

2. Does your speedo still work?

3. If its like the 120, it will take some time (seconds) when you're driving above a certain speed for the fault code to trigger; at that point the ECU knows it hasnt got the speed signal it wants, and it is literally waiting a few seconds to see if it comes good, before it spews the error code. (And presumably a check engine light?)

4. Do you have live data? If so, is the speed correct? (The 120 has two speed sensors, NT an NT2, not sure about your 70)

Hey mate, sorry for taking so long to write back.
basically i cut the speed sensor wire that went into the back of the clock the came down onto its own plug. I then mistook the wire and wired the reverse camera to it. the reverse camera worked but flashed on and off. I sorted out that part, replaced the loom again so its all intact.
im wondering if i stretched the speed wire going into the clock spring trying to get it off.

The speedo on the cluster works.
The speedo on the scangauge doesn't work and picks up off the odbII so i assume the signal isn't getting somewhere and hence all the codes come up.
Im having a look at things atm and am thinking of jacking up the car and crawling the tyres so i test to see if the wires are pulsing with signals.

From what im seeing the green wire with white stripe is the speed cable.

The car did goto toyota and they said the sensors were all ok

Back