Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Starter motor replacement 2008 79 series Landcruiser

Bryan Fraser

Country Flag
australia
Hi Just joined the site, never knew it was there!.
i have a problem with my starter motor in my 79 series Cruiser. the auto sparks says it's had its chips and should be replaced (350K on the clock).
after trying 5 different mechanics who would rather chew off the own arm than attempt it, i decide to do it myself. crazy i here you say, well i have the intercooler off and looking at it i might agree.
i would be better placed if i had a manual or procedure to work to, but can't seem to find what i am looking for.
can i ask does anyone have a procedure for replacing the starter motor? or advise where i can get a manual from that explains it.
thanks for your help. i love my cruiser, just time to give a little love back.

Bryan, take a look at going in through the side with the wheel off.

Hello Bryan - welcome to the forum. Which engine do you have? VDJ79?

Thanks fella's it is a VDJ79 for sure. i don't think you can go through the side of the engine bay. the starter motor is position in the base of the V of the motor. they say the in take manifold has to come out, so you are basically strip the motor between the 2 heads and it a rabbit warren in there. Bugga!

When you get it out Bryan, take it to the bench and strip it down. The 80 series ones suffer from burned solenoid contacts which are available and an easy fix. Parts are probably available for yours. Chances are the rest just needs a clean.
if you’re not up for that and simply want a replacement, give Mike at Robson and Francis (0207 733 2353) a call. He will either sort you out a reman unit (they remanufacture units for many of the sellers) or may be able to get you bits if you prefer. With the amount of dismantling involved, is it absolutely certain it’s at fault? Have you tried a jump start; a jumper cable between battery negative and engine block; tried a wire direct from the solenoid connection momentarily onto battery +ve and see if any make it better?Checked connections etc. Probably worth a few moments verifying what you’ve been told is correct. At 350k it’s had a lot of use if that’s been short journeys, but not so much if they’ve been motorway miles.

Yes - manifold out. There are quite a few YouTube videos that show the process - some like yours, some 4.7L. (Search 1VD FTV starter motor replacement). Looks like a lot of work to get at the starter but not difficult work, but I suppose there are plenty of things to get wrong when you put it all back, so label things, take lots of pics etc. There is one video that talks about voltage drop to the starter being the issue. Maybe worth checking first. The 90 series starters suffer in the same way as StarCruiser described but is an easy fix. Thankfully the starter on my KZJ95R was very easy to get out compared to yours. Good luck.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks again fella's. i have tried the bypass from the relay as the YouTube video says with no result. i fully charged the the battery and got 13.4V, when i turn the key and get the click it drop to 12.7, still plenty i think? Most of the 350km has been highway, Brisbane to Melbourne with a trailer. i have recently done Cape Your with some deep river crossing. it then stood at home for a couple of weeks and that's when i have the trouble. no couple of tries then starting, it just went complete fail. i have tried looking on YouTube but only found a time laps video which condensed 8 hrs of work into 2.5mins, not much chop. i would be grateful for any links you may have.
i am a fitter by trade. this of course doesn't make me a mechanic, the issue is there is so many small component! i have started with plenty of yellow sparky tape and a marking pen. A manual or procedure would be a big help. anyway in for a penny as they say. see how i go, might be a cheap engine on Gumtree Ha ha!
Oh, thank for the heads up on the starter. i already got a Denso replacement. i don't fancy doing the job again if i can help it. Cheers

Back