Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Starting a diesel after running out of fuel

Rob Cowell

Country Flag
wales
Was going to use the 120 this morning. It hasn't been started for a couple of weeks so last night I thought I better check it still would in the cold weather. It did, but only just, so I left it on "warm up" or whatever the button is called when it revs a bit harder, noticed the fuel was low so I'd need to fill up, and came in for a coffee. Then had dinner. Then watched a bit of TV. Then looked for the car keys, and remembered I'd done earlier in the evening.

Anyway, long story short I will be using the 150 today.

So, when I tip 20 litres of diesel in on Sunday morning what am I likely to need to do to get it started. I'm lots of years old and have never run out of fuel in a diesel. I have a recollection diesels don't just crank and start like a petrol. Google ranges from leave the ignition on (I can do this) to prime the fuel pump, to tap a pipe going to an injector (I can do this too but don't want to) to get the air out.

Thanks for the usual sage advice.

If its got a loft pump it may well prime, but it will take lots of priming by turning on and off the ignition, as the pump only runs for a few seconds each time.

Yes there is a prime button on top of the fuel filter right-hand side back of the engine bay behind the fuse box. Push that till it gets hard

And if it takes the piss then just fill the filter to get it started and it will self bleed after that .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It helps if you remove the delivery pipe from the filter before priming - otherwise you are just compressing the air in the system.

It doesn't take long when its venting to atmosphere.

Bob.

Thanks for the all the suggestions. Rode 230 miles on my bicycle yesterday so not had a surfeit of energy to attack this today. I stuck 20 litres of diesel in. Pulled to outflow pipe on the fuel filter and pumped the prime button. Gave it at least 100 presses and no fuel showing up. Anything else I might try? Is it work filling the inlet pipe with fuel, or will that just drain into the tank? Will probably try Shane's fill the filter trick next, just not today.

Just make sure you took off the correct hose on the fuel filter, take off the outlet side..

Its not hard to take off the wrong one....

I have just replaced the lift pump on my Isuzu truck as it had shit the tin... (Same set up as LC)

Just an off the cuff remark but you never know.

Looks like you have a faulty bleed pump. The air in the filter should compress and go down in to the fuel tank. When I bleed mine I can hear the air bubbling in the tank, then the pump goes hard and the engine starts. I filled the tank from empty to full once with petrol so I know all about it!

Last edited:
Thats interesting to know how the pump works. Weather horrendous here this morning, so I just sat in the car turning the ignition on for a few seconds (not turning the engine) then turning off. Did that about 10 times, tried to start and it did and ran for 3 or 4 seconds. Few more on and offs, tried again and it's running. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Back