Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sweaty and leaking batteries

Paul

Garage
Country Flag
england
I have a dual battery system on the 80, been on since new.

Just tidying up the engine bay electrics and noticed that the two batteries have been leaking, cleaned it all up, treated, painted etc and noticed that the leak is coming fom the filler caps on the batteries.

Checked charging and all ok, levels in batteries are spot on, they are a classic type maintenance battery and are about one year old. Would describe them as medium quality though. Each filler cap does have a small hole in it to act as breather, car never been off road as was used for towing and has spent most of the time i have had it in the garage.

The strange bit is that the batteries have been out for one week, cleaned them when removed and have been on the work bench and still showed signs of the leakage when in a cool place and not connected!

Might replace them anyway as would like some with a shared breather to a leak off pipe for when it does go bush.

Dont worry, problem solved.

The little holes in the caps act as little fountains as the vehicle rolls and it settles on the top of the battery then runs off and into the tray.

Will have to replaqce the batteries, bit of a waste though.

I have a dual battery system on the 80, been on since new.

Just tidying up the engine bay electrics and noticed that the two batteries have been leaking, cleaned it all up, treated, painted etc and noticed that the leak is coming fom the filler caps on the batteries.

Checked charging and all ok, levels in batteries are spot on, they are a classic type maintenance battery and are about one year old. Would describe them as medium quality though. Each filler cap does have a small hole in it to act as breather, car never been off road as was used for towing and has spent most of the time i have had it in the garage.

The strange bit is that the batteries have been out for one week, cleaned them when removed and have been on the work bench and still showed signs of the leakage when in a cool place and not connected!

Might replace them anyway as would like some with a shared breather to a leak off pipe for when it does go bush.

You say the charging is ok, but what is ok ?(what the charge voltage) also levels are ok, again what are the levels ?(explain how full the are)

Back