Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tabernas Desert Trip 2016 (The Good, Bad & Ugly Tour 2016)

Day 3 Tabernas - 12th

We did a bit more trail bashing on day 3. A bit off piste at times and sometimes scratchy, but fun nonetheless.

Monday pics
The tight spot in the canyon - was a lot harder than it looks!
IMG_3518 (2).JPG

Invincible?
(sorry Pete :) )
IMG_3519 (2).JPG

Stretching out with a bit of Yoga :)
IMG_3520 (2).JPG

IMG_3521 (2).JPG

conflab time :)
IMG_3522 (2).JPG

- another view

Lawrence of Aribia's Palm Tree!
SANY0003 (2).JPG

Need to watch the film again!

Last edited:
Tuesday 11th
Another day of trails, but an easy road climb into the mountains high above the desert & along the ridge behind the campsite.
IMG-20161011-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20161011-WA0002.jpg

Onto Wed 12th

Another day and a few dollars more, some dry river beds and a trail that squeezed under a bridge and up the mountain to a dead end!

Last edited:

One of our washed out routes - very steep hill - whilst deliberating a trio of Spanish Moto x bikes arrived and all got up, although it was a bit dodgy in places. Roll cage, no dogs and a desert racer may have been enough for me!

IMG_3532 (2).JPG

Lunch!
IMG_3533 (2).JPG

Daves mighty 80 :)
IMG_3538 (3).JPG

Cute 40 of Rodger and Corrine
IMG_3539 (2).JPG

IMG_3541 (2).JPG

IMG_3544 (2).JPG

This was our last day in Tabernas. The group split and the Spanish amigo's went home Thursday morning. Pete had left early Wednesday morning to get his ferry that evening, it meant Mark & Mel, Dawn & I were left to make our way slowly home. Unfortunately, the weather descended during Wednesday, but didnt do enough to dampen our spirits. We all said goodbye to our new found friends, and then left the campsite pretty well together and split into different roads home.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mark & Mel, Dawn & I made our way through Spain towards Madrid, staying at a fab campsite in Aranjuez, a lovely town. It rained during the night, leaving a wet and damp start for Friday 14th

Our first trail was just behind the campsite and started off fine, a bit wet but good going.

after a while, the track turned to a very soft mud surface, the trailer tyres filled up and with a downhill section, and a right to left slope and..........

SANY0001 (2).JPG

plop, straight into the ditch :(
No amount of low and diff locks would shift it, but Mark's 80 is equipped with a winch, which made short work of tugging it out!
(note too self, get some mud terrain tyres for the trailer!)

Decsion made, we will stick to small back roads until it dries out!

Dam! A big Dam

IMG_3553 (2).JPG

IMG_3555 (3).JPG

Vultures!

IMG_3556 (2).JPG

Not a good place for a sleep......
IMG_3558 (2).JPG

Friday we camped high in the mountains at around 1800m, bloody eck it was cold! Luckily the bar had a log fire going and my boots were dried, everyone ate in the bar but I wasnt too well so went to bed with my new Tiger Fleece Blanket :).

Saturday 15th
We made our way towards Zaragoza, passing some through some flat plains with steep switch back climbs / descents either side, fantastic country side but very very big.

Once we found the campsite in Zaragoza, we were in for a surprise! A bloody RAVE! Started at 6pm and got louder until 6 am! Bloody kids , need jobs, blah blah blah (miserable old git syndrome)
Quick clean and away towards Bardenas Reales.
IMG_3562 (3).JPG

IMG_3569 (2).JPG

IMG_3581 (3).JPG
IMG_3589 (3).JPG
IMG_3595 (2).JPG

@froggy Steve "everyone ate in the bar but I wasnt too well so went to bed with my new Tiger Fleece Blanket :)"

Ah bless :sleeping-sleep: :icon-biggrin:...all better now mate?

regards

Dave

Great write-ups and videos, nice to see the same action from different angles and perspectives.

You could edit up a Guy Richie version!!

Very enjoyable guys and gals, thanks for all the posts!

Scuse the dusty mirror on the camera!

We stayed at a nice little campsite in Villa Franca on Sunday evening - luckily we got there mid afternoon, which was a good choice as it quickly filled up with camping cars from UK and Holland.

Monday morning we headed for the Pyrenees, with a plan to pick up and drive some 300km of tracks. Unfortunately, the fog/mist cloud came down, blocking any scenic view possible! On the way we came across a half empty Reservoir so stopped for a look.
20161017_105247.jpg
20161017_105253.jpg

It turns out that the reservoir drains down every year revealing some Roman hot springs, bubbling out at 40 degrees! There are people bathing in them.
What is crazy is that this will probably be the last time they will be revealed as new works on the Dam will prevent draining down again :( a real shame.

We made our way back through the Somport Tunnel, and stayed just North of Pau in Marciac. We found a farm that does camping as all the other sites were closed. Just the 2 cars on the site, it was calm, quiet and comfy - cold water, but at least we had a loo!

20161017_173450.jpg

We finally arrived home on Tuesday at about 2pm.

Dawn & I would like to thank everyone for making this holiday one of the best we have ever had. Special thanks to Mark & Mel for getting us there and back, Rodger and Corrine for all the hard work on the trails and Ian (Ians Dad) , Dave & Pete for everything and for making our little group one big team.
Oh, the dogs were pretty good, no problems, I think they enjoyed it as much as we did!
20161006_135016 (2).jpg

zzzzzzz re we there yet?

Thanks everyone!

Oops, I forget about this classic scene - abandoned in the middle of a junction, broken down!

:lol: That's got to be one for the archives :lol:

We shouldn't mock the afflicted.... :whistle:

Just been through the whole thread and what can i say but brilliant , someone should tie all the vids together to make Tabernas the movie i can already hear Lee Marvin singing in the background :clap:

Back