Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

To Dealer or not to Dealer

I think you've hit the nail on the head there, Gary.
Correct diagnosis, proving the parts to be faulty, plugging in ain't the magic answer,
One of the biggest gripes I think, are the parts changers with nothing to back it up, all at the customers expense, relying on computers say so, or their 'expertise', without actually testing the part or further checks. The average d.i.y.-er can change part after part, without knowing what the problem/fix is.

Few people choose to be mechanics so they can sit at a computer desk all day , son's Honda was bought with a 12 month warranty and i think its been back to honda about 8 times for an egr warning light that puts it in limp mode maybe 3 times a week . A new valve didn't cure it so it needs a computer AND somebody who knows how to use one .

With some of the stories we hear on here, it's like mechanics are wannabe computer experts.
They chose to be mechanics, but still want to rely on computers for the 'truth'.

With some of the stories we hear on here, it's like mechanics are wannabe computer experts.
They chose to be mechanics, but still want to rely on computers for the 'truth'.

In fairness, I would imagine that looking at an engine produced in the last 5 or so years and comparing it with say something from 20 years ago, the number of sensors and ECU controlled components will have probably increased by a significant factor, plus aren't many of the systems now "joined-up" and talk to each other - so may have numerous inter-dependencies.

I wouldn't expect a mechanic to manually check each sensor or component, when they can simply plug in a computer to check - also the labour bill would be astronomical! However, I would expect that readout to be the guide and or starting point for further investigations.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I don't really care if they use a computer or a spanner as their tool of choice, but the diagnosis needs to be right. Recommending a $2K wiring loom when the problem is a dodgy alternator isn't really acceptable.

According to that video, the woman paid a thousand dollars for that rubbish.

Now to be fair, its almost negligent not to use the computer as step 1, to see what clues it provides. But that shouldnt usually be the whole story - more of a starting point.

Bottom line is, computer or not, you need someone that knows what they're doing and who cares enough to bother. If you dont have those, might as well forget it.

Yep, exactly, diagnostics a guide, and if a component was fitted and didn't cure the problem, I shouldn't be expected to pay for that or the labour involved in mis diagnosis.

Mechanics are not trained anymore they are trained to be fitters ie take a part off and put it in the bin then put fit a nice new one on problem solved 95 quids for the labour 457 for the part plus vat Oh any chance of a gratuity for me please
How often do you see an advertisement for a Mechanic most of the time you see Fitter wanted whether HGV or car spose the closest thing to an actual Mechanic would be he military they get staff cars to tank transporters plant machinery boats to ships and aircraft to motorcycles qauds and trailers of all shapes and sizes and anything with an engine and wheels
So employ a REME Craftsman

Tractionman I did not know they had changed the Alphabet to technician to suit
Bloody hell I remember when Binmen were Binmen and they used to carry the bin on their shoulders and take your scrap car batteries and metal and weigh it in for crimbo and If we were lucky enough we could have a ride on the back of the bin lorry across the road to the next house these days the poor sods got to walk the route and squeeze into a day cab also if yer bin is too heavy they won't take it long gone are the days of a flat cap woodbine in gob a pair of steel toecap wellingtons donkey jacket completed with a fetching pair of blue dungarees in various shades of blue and distress

From experience with 2 guys who were ex Reme (not branding all the same) the quality and care wasn't there, stuff broken and left, corners cut all over. 1 lad cost us more then he made the buisness in 3 months and we had to recall every job he did!! Every car had an issue even basic maintenance!!
Again not saying all but we had 2 very bad apples!

Unfortunately apprentices now are taught a lot of part replacement, they still get to strip gearboxes etc but are told will only replace one!

I like using live data as can see what things are doing, some fault codes can be caused by multiple different things but gives the same code.
The remote stuff I can do can sometimes be a guess on a part, it doesn't get fitted untill proven on site though. It's experience that I rely on for that.

I've actually been helping my mate at Toyota with a Rav4 fitted with a bmw diesel engine, they've been struggling with it so he pulled a favour.

A Rav4 with a BMW engine now that sounds like an Axis Power experiment from the 1940s
Sorry Gary just re read your post about the two REME lads Ah so that's where those two bloody muppets ended up I did wonder you should have seen the Challenger ARV and MINEBUSTER they worked on and someone on the staff at your place employed them hahahahahahah

Last edited:
I've actually been helping my mate at Toyota with a Rav4 fitted with a bmw diesel engine, they've been struggling with it so he pulled a favour.

I hope its not an oil consumption issue. I fear the owner might not get as sympathetic treatment as we got last year with ours (2016 N47 based diesel) full powerplant replaced under warranty after 5 years and 141,000km. I never did get to find out the cause, despite asking, and despite speaking to someone in France from Toyota Europe who followed up about it.

I hope its not an oil consumption issue. I fear the owner might not get as sympathetic treatment as we got last year with ours (2016 N47 based diesel) full powerplant replaced under warranty after 5 years and 141,000km. I never did get to find out the cause, despite asking, and despite speaking to someone in France from Toyota Europe who followed up about it.

No nothing as straight forward as that haha.
Misfire fault code/eml that doesn't misfire!

Will know in a day or so if on the right track, did some testing while I was there today but with some of our equipment (only next door) sort of a bus man's holiday!

Toyota Birmingham top team for a main dealer , I take the fj62 there and they charge me cost for parts and £30 per hour labour and they do it so they can help keep old Toyotas on the road , Tom and the team very knowledgeable as they have a few old heads there that worked on them when new

Back