Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tyre advice LJ71

prendergast7

Country Flag
ireland
Hi - I have an LJ71 with standard 215/80/16 tyres - is it possible to put 225/75/15 on this?

Last edited:
It depends on the spec. I have an LJ78 that won't accept 15" rims as the front brakes are oversized. Your standard tyres are the same size as my standard ones were so I'd expect you have the same brakes. Most light duty 70's came with 15's as standard. FYI I'm now running 265/75/16 on 16x8 steels @ zero offset, they fitted without any lift and did alot for the appearance and performance of the truck.

Jim.

215/80-16 tyres have a nominal dia. of 764 mm.

225/75-15 tyres have a nominal dia. of 733 mm.

You will be going down in dia. so yes, they will fit.

Roger

215/80-16 tyres have a nominal dia. of 764 mm.

225/75-15 tyres have a nominal dia. of 733 mm.

You will be going down in dia. so yes, they will fit.

Roger

But as Jimbo said above the 15" wheel wont necessarily fit. The UK spec 70 series came with 15" steel wheels with a decent negative offset (-32mm iirc). Im not sure about what makes them difficult to fit on non-uk spec 70s as I thought the front brakes were the same but Id believe what Jimbo says as he actually has one. ;)

The LJ series had the 2.4 litre engine and the front disc brakes were solid i.e. not ventilated. The rear drum brakes were 254 mm in dia.

The KZJ 70 had ventilated front discs and the rear drum brakes are 295 mm in dia.

The LJ 78 has a heavy duty rear diff. fitted with disc brakes but as far as I know, the front brakes were not enlarged from the standard LJ model.

I would be interested to know what is the dia. of the LJ78 model disc brake.

Roger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There are at least 3 different spec options available on the LJ78. One of these specs 16" rims as opposed to 15" and larger front (vented) brake discs. They also have rear discs with internal drums for the handbrake built in which are enormous, although I don't have measurements to hand. On this spec (mine) 15" rims will not fit over the calipers. I'd expect the LJ71 had the same spec options and that he runs 16" rims as standard probably means he has the larger brakes.

I should also mention my front discs are ventilated :icon-wink:

Ah so is the issue the rear brakes then? The KZJ70 also has vented discs at the front.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

The dust cover, which is the part that protects the disc from dirt etc from the inside, has the same part number on the LJ 78 as the KZJ 70. This would indicate that the discs are the same diameter.

Roger

Back