Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Under bonnet and general soundproofing.

Dave2000

Supporter
Country Flag
spain
The soundproofing under the bonnet of my 80 has now turned to dust which seems to be the norm for these vehicles as they age. Has anyone sourced a new one that has not cost their first born, or purchased something that is fire resistant and good at keeping noise down? Whilst at it I plan to add sound proofing to the inner doors and anywhere else I can access, I know there are plenty of soundproofing options but can anyone recommend a product that they have used and is effective but does not cost the earth?

Regards

Dave

Dave , I suspect a look at various L****over sites will give you a fair few leads on what works and what's cost effective .
I don't reckon you will find a ready made kit for an 80 .... certainly not in the UK/EU.... loads of DIY camper van builders site are also a good source for info .

Many thanks for that, my 80 has pretty much reached where I want it to be in terms of off road capability, along with everything I need for camping out and so forth, now I am just doing all the little things that have gone awry over the years if ownership. I think the DIY camper builders sites is a great idea and had not really thought about them.

Many thanks

Regards

Dave

A lot of noise comes from the air box even on over run. I've lined the inside of mine with compressed fibre wool 25mm thick held in place with wire mesh. Then I've stuck panel damper on the outside. Made a big difference, almost as much as the resonance chamber fitted to the more recent 80's air boxes.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My solution many years ago.

1649160495544.png

1649160444223.png

Car insulation gets lots of results

@Shayne Yep seen them mate and thanks for the thought, the problem is I need to find someone who has used 'X' product rather than paying for something that looks good but turns out as garbage, so looking for something with a bit of 'history'.

A lot of noise comes from the air box even on over run. I've lined the inside of mine with compressed fibre wool 25mm thick held in place with wire mesh. Then I've stuck panel damper on the outside. Made a big difference, almost as much as the resonance chamber fitted to the more recent 80's air boxes.

@frank rabbets Thanks for that Frank. funny I never gave the air box a thought, but will now.
Not used it myself but something like this would likely work well.

[/URL][/URL][/URL]

@Dave-S I will look into that thanks Steve.

EDIT:

Just had a look at that link Steve and it looks like it could do the job, it is self adhesive/fire retardant, and the free postage to Spain makes it a little more attractive, I will see what @Michael Montgomery comes back with if he can recall where he got it from.

@Michael Montgomery That looks neat, I had planned to do the same thing, that is cover the inner sections with material and then for good measure place a sheet over the whole under bonnet as per the OE. I reckon that would do the job, very effective? And can you remember where you got the material and did you have to use adhesive?

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Great store to buy sound deadening materials. Colin & Mike were extremely helpful with honest advice without pressure selling. Club discount was given & appreciated.

Highly recommended

Sales Department
Sound Deadening Shop / Silent Coat UK / Dodo Mat
P: 01865 343934
F: 01865 340964
E: [email protected]
M: 7 Tower Industrial Estate, Berinsfield, Oxfordshire, OX10 7LN, UK

Thanks Michael, I will look them up, although being in the UK we (in Spain) are getting a good kicking with import fees, I am still trying to get hold of a speedometer sent to me by a very helpful forum member over a month ago which is held up in Madrid!

Many thanks

Regards

Dave

Yeah Dave I sent mine to Cyprus before Brexit happened. Also got an American hood liner that i cut to fit in a few pieces something I couldn't see on their webpage anymore now. Might be alternative they can recommend. My hood liner was falling apart and having an alternative in a roll format helps bring the costs down sending abroad. They were very helpful advising on the phone which I would recommend.

I have used them too. Straight forward, helpful and good service.

Back