Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Where to position a GPS antenna???

Andrew Brierley

Country Flag
england
The one for my sat nav is stuck to the dash where it meets the bottom of the windscreen. It seems to work fine. However, I have also seen more hardened overlanders taking them through the bulkhead and fixing them to the bodywork between the windscreen arms - so there is nothing between them and the glorious blue sky.

Is the external option just a 'purist' one, or are there genuine gains to be had? I need the additional one to feed my laptop which I will be using to navigate across Algeria...

One observation is that Landcruisers tend to have reasonably 'swept' windscreens (rather than the sit-up-and-beg LRs), so there is a reasonable view of the sky, but with glass in between.

Does anyone have any experience of positioning GPS antennas?

If my iPhone can get a decent fix in my living room with all the blinds drawn, I reckon a decent gps will be ok anywhere on your dash.

Andrew Brierley said:
The one for my sat nav is stuck to the dash where it meets the bottom of the windscreen. It seems to work fine. However, I have also seen more hardened overlanders taking them through the bulkhead and fixing them to the bodywork between the windscreen arms - so there is nothing between them and the glorious blue sky.

Is the external option just a 'purist' one, or are there genuine gains to be had? I need the additional one to feed my laptop which I will be using to navigate across Algeria...

One observation is that Landcruisers tend to have reasonably 'swept' windscreens (rather than the sit-up-and-beg LRs), so there is a reasonable view of the sky, but with glass in between.

Does anyone have any experience of positioning GPS antennas?

Hi Andrew

how many satellites are you receiving where it is now ? if it is more that three, there is no point in moving it as that is all you need, and as you say it seems to work fine.

the other consideration if you put it outside, is it waterproof ?

The two major obstacles for GPSs are building and trees and I doubt you will be seeing too many of either out in the deserts of Algeria.

I have 2 (sometimes 3) GPS devices in my 80 while on Morocco trips. Although I have external antennas fitted, they almost never get plugged in.

The windscreen might have a UV filter, which also reduces the signal strength of radio waves. There is normally a hole in this shield just behind the rearview mirror for placing a radio-responder for e.g. toll roads.
If your car doesn't have such a uv filter, then there isn't much reduction in the signal strength inside the glass. Anyhow, it doesn't seem to bother most gps receivers much.
Theoretically, the best place is on top of the roof, or somewhere higher up even. The more (satellites) the merrier. This would also depend on wether you're a land surveyor or a navigator. ;)

Back