Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Which one at the front?

hamba

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
I had to take my roof rack off so that I could replace the expedition rail that started flaking. While it was off I had a quick look at how I can fit the roof bags I have, one is the frontrunner extra large transit bag and the other a rhino rack 250 liter bag. The 2 fit very nicely together on the rack but now I have a problem, which one goes at the front?

I'm leaning towards the frontrunner at the front like this.
IMG_20180504_184823.jpg

We will be using the frontrunner for bedding and other odds and sods or do I put the rhino rack at the front like this
IMG_20180504_184652.jpg

The rhino rack will only have our chairs in and some carpets, the big bulky stuff.

So, which one do I put in the front?

Cheers
Hamba

Hi hamba, jm2c :
Front runner at the front, if that makes access to the chairs easier for a quick picnic.
Heavy stuff at the front, nearest your center of gravity and to evenly distribute the weight on front and rear suspension.
For aerodynamics : largest at the front for a better airflow around the bags.
Conclusion (fwiw) : frontrunner at the front.

Thanks, because of the nature of the bags I don't think there is a quick and easy way to get stuff out or back in. I'm also planning on nothing heavy up there so I'm not too worried about the weight, at least not for now. If it's heavy it should be in the car as low as possible.
Aerodynamically and aesthetically speaking the frontrunner is better at the front.

Just to @hamba mention that the front runner bag is NOT waterproof, as I discovered last year. Its can take a bit of a splash but if you are driving in the rain water will get in through the zips, soaking all your stuff. Put your bedding into waterproof bags before you put them into the Front Runner bag.

Thanks for the heads up @nick_the_fish I'll see if I can get some waterproof bags for them. Do you think bin bags will be enough or do I need to look for something better?

Depends on how often you are going to be putting things in and out of them. For a one time use they might be ok, but personally i'd go for something a little better. I know they're expensive but the roll top dry bags you can get are very good.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back