Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Why is my coolant leaking/evaporating? (photos)

Draft Horse

Country Flag
portugal
Hi all.
So I change coolant about, maybe two years ago, I did it by flushing the radiator, fill it with distilled water and flush it again several times, while running the engine a little bit to circulate, diluting the old coolant and flush again.
I then bought much more Toyota coolant than what's needed to flush the distilled water off the circuit and get the correct ratio. Trough the course of some days after, I repeated the flush until I was sure there was no more water in the coolant than needed. I know it seems wasteful. but I couldn't for the life of me take out the drain plug, it's such in an awkward position to remove and it's really tight, I used 6 jugs of Toyota coolant, and kept one for spare if needed.
I made sure there was no air inside by using those special funnels to purge the air out everytime.
And our tap water is terrible so I didn't want to use it to flush.
The old coolant (also Toyota brand) seemed fine, no major particles or color.

So now, after some years of light usage, I'm getting these pink crystals all over the tubes and edges of the radiator and I don't know why.
I only noticed the tube leak before so I ordered brand news ones and got new stainless steel things (i don't know the name in English) to tighten around the radiator and engine.

When I was going to drain the radiator to change them, I noticed also on the edge of the radiator, but I'm not sure if its leaking from the radiator itself or its spill from the leak in the tube. Also, I don't think it's the expansion tank because it fills normally when the engine is hot, and goes down when it cools, so no pressure from the cap.
I'm going to clean it good, change the tubes to the new ones (since these are the same age as the car) and check again if it continues.

Any ideas?
Cheers!

Attachments

• 20230220_173647.jpg
    20230220_173647.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 20230220_173652.jpg
    20230220_173652.jpg
    364.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 20230220_173718.jpg
    20230220_173718.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 68
  • 20230220_173748.jpg
    20230220_173748.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 72
On the radiator my first thought is to change the radiator cap and see if that solves it. A new cap doesn't cost a lot so if it doesn't work you haven't lost anything.

and yep, change that hose and jubilee clip

:text-+1:
Coolant can expand up to 12% at 80 degrees hence the overflow bottle and pressure release radiator cap .

Agree my first though was the coolant was coming from the cap. But zooming in I’m thinking the hose, the jubilee clip looks very close to the end of the pipe snd maybe is sitting on the flange and not sealing 100%. I’d replace it and fit a fraction further back, I’d also be inclined to replace it with an original part clip as they are superior to Jubilee clips, particularly the copies of Jubilee.

Likewise for the lower hoses. cheap to do and if it doesn’t fix it it eliminates it but all the pictures look to be weeping from the joins.

Thank you for the replies.
I will order a new cap as well following your suggestion. But what is weird is that the expansion tank is working normally, it fills when hot and gets around to middle when cool, so this means the cap must be working, no? But i'll swap it anyway, it's not that expensive.
Cheers guys, always helpful!

Last edited:
Once the plastic on your radiator tanks turns brown its time to replace them if you look closely you will see thousands of tiny cracks and the seals at the tanks will he leaking i suggest an alloy 3 core radiator from e bay as i have had bad luck with other aftermarket items not cooling sufficiently
Not cheap but heaps cheaper then genuine

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Agree my first though was the coolant was coming from the cap. But zooming in I’m thinking the hose, the jubilee clip looks very close to the end of the pipe snd maybe is sitting on the flange and not sealing 100%. I’d replace it and fit a fraction further back, I’d also be inclined to replace it with an original part clip as they are superior to Jubilee clips, particularly the copies of Jubilee.

Likewise for the lower hoses. cheap to do and if it doesn’t fix it it eliminates it but all the pictures look to be weeping from the joins.
Agree, as a veteran mechanic, i've finally only recently come back to the OEM constant tension style clamps. Can't beat 'em

Once the plastic on your radiator tanks turns brown its time to replace them if you look closely you will see thousands of tiny cracks and the seals at the tanks will he leaking i suggest an alloy 3 core radiator from e bay as i have had bad luck with other aftermarket items not cooling sufficiently
Not cheap but heaps cheaper then genuine
Agree, that rad is on borrowed time, and if it’s an auto transmission consider yourself lucky if you didn’t get the pink milkshake of doom..
New rad asap

Back