Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Winch Security

warrenpfo

I am waiting to secure my winch to its bumper as in SA they are a target to sticky fingers. I had wondered what the best way of doing this might be. I want to be able to remove the winch if need be to do repairs and maintenance etc so can’t use those bolts that have a head that breaks off when it reaches a certain torque and you only seem to get security nuts rather than bolts.

I had thought about welding the bolt in place onto the winch and then just using a security nut but am not sure if the winch casing is not cast in which case this will not work. I then thought that since the bolts are only there to hold the winch in its place and are not used to pull against as the winch is mounted to the face of the bumper how about using some form of security wheel nut that has a key. I can’t seem to find out what wheel nuts are rated at and wanted to ask. Would they be your std 8.8?

You can get these in the US but can’t seem to find anything like them in the UK.

winch_lock.jpg

[h=4]The winch lock bolt is a custom 3/8-16 precision security bolt made from 1045 carbon alloy steel heat treated to Grade 5 yield strength. The key patterned head bolt is proprietary and the matching key is not available at your local retail hardware store. The winch lock bolt cannot be removed with ordinary screw drivers, pliers, or commonly sold security bits. Simply substitute one of your winch mounting bolts with the “Winch Lock” bolt and your winch is protected – simple![/h] Fits all winches with standard 3/8 -16 mounting hardware.
Features:

• Made from heat treated 1045 carbon steel, zinc chromate corrosion protection
  • Proprietary security key pattern
  • Hidden spring lock washer pocket ensures gapless installation
  • 60 degree head taper to prevent removal with pliers
  • Simple fail proof design : no clumsy traditional key mechanisms to corrode/fail
  • Special coded security key allows for both end, and side access

Last edited:
Having given it more thought durring the day would the following work...

Use a wheel stud and press/hammer it in place in the winch and then use a locking wheel nut on the stud.

Yep that would work, provided you have enough room to fit and remove.
Might need to grind the locking nut flat though, otherwise it will only tighten down on the angled section?

Last edited:
I hope to find a flat locking nut rather than a cone shaped one if I can.

Many thanks, I plan on waiting for someone who is going over to the US to then bring back the bolts along with one of there receiver recovery point and a winch line thimble as postage nearly trebles the cost of items and makes it not worth it.

They do some nice stuff

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back