Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1hd-ft engine rebuild

That's truly shocking Kev. And a testament to Toyota if the bores are as good as you say (which I don't doubt). [emoji15][emoji33]

Hi guys
i'm a newby to this forum and have been reading through the threads so sorry if this ones been finished with. I build several of these motors each year from the marine environment and to see Pistons like these in a 4.2 is quite a common sight. The Yamaha version seems to suffer more than the Yanmar for some reason but it is always caused by failed injectors hosing fuel into the bore. The only internal parts that are different on the marine application are the Pistons themselves. A set of Pistons from Yamaha come in at £2,800 so with injectors, labour and all the other stuff it normally costs upwards of £7,000. I know in a LC there bullit proof but once Toyota sell them and others marinise them they do seem more problematic. (But good for business). Sorry if this seems irrelevant. Also have boxes and boxes of spares if anyone's ever stuck.

Interesting. In what way are they "marinised" and what sort horse power are they pushing out?

They range from 245hp in the 12 valve form up to 315hp in the 24 valve. Max rpm 3600. Marinise means salt water cooled. Salt water pumped through a heat exchanger and then the after cooler. The water exits through a water cooled exhaust elbow.

Interesting Heaumey, so everything but the Pistons stays the same? Apart from the cooling of course which provides for better inter-cooling.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes internals the same. Externals very different, water cooled exhaust manifold and turbo, different flywheels and fuel pump settings. We use genuine Toyota service parts as if you order from main Yamaha dealer it normally comes in a Toyota box.

Yes internals the same. Externals very different, water cooled exhaust manifold and turbo, different flywheels and fuel pump settings. We use genuine Toyota service parts as if you order from main Yamaha dealer it normally comes in a Toyota box.

Good to know I want to get the injectors serviced anyway when I get some cash together anyone got any idea of the cost of injector servicing I ordered the Pistons today off the eBay seller in the link above so hopefully be rebuilding it at the weekend if whether permits

Heaumey piston failure is unheard of in a Land Cruiser car environment. Do you think it was Delboy's egr cleaner that broke the pistons? Surely 6 injectors would not fail at the same time ?

When you have injector failure is it hydraulic damage to the pistons or pre ignition?

Really interesting.

P.S Just noticed you don't use Toyota pistons. Are the ones you use weaker or stronger ?

In the marine application these motors run all day at around 3200rpm and as soon as something fails that adds temperature to the combustion chamber this seems to be the weak link. I agree that egr cleaner could do this and yes they use there own Pistons for different compression ratio. I have never heard of a failure in a landcruiser either but that is what this engine was designed to be in. Imagine driving around all day in first gear at 3200 rpm

I think it must be the egr cleaner the car ran and started ok before I used it then it would run rough on start up so I investigated the intake heater and changed the relay the car was getting progressively worse until it started using oil I'm not sure when the blow by started because I didn't take the oil cap off with it running until I noticed it using oil it can't be a coincidence that all 6 Pistons are damaged I did write to wynns and got fobbed off so I am probably going to get a solicited on the case

It makes sense that the car would be OKish at first after that damage but those broken parts would get worse and worse quickly.

Perhaps the small claims court is the way to go. If the Wyns was the cause it is clearly breach of contract and that is what the court is for. You can fill in all the forms on line and just spell out exactly what happened and how much it has cost you. Big companies nearly always do not turn up if it goes to a hearing. If so there is no evidence from the other side and the court really don't have much option but to award you the case. It would help if you had a letter from an expert witness. Nothing posh just an opinion from somebody who can say they are qualified to comment.

Frank is right, just use a friendly solicitor, you can claim for their costs but you cannot claim for yours. Any court appearance would be in a court local to Wynns.

With the right solicitor you should get it sorted efficiently but be prepared for the long haul. These things take time.

I think Wynn's would respond by saying it was used inappropriately which is impossible to prove true or false . It wasn't years ago i bought my first can so i have to assume my habit of short 1 or 2 second squirts with 5 seconds between must have come from instructions on the can ?

I can easily imagine the stuff destroying an engine though a 10 second shot of spray would sound like a bucket of bolts being poured on a greenhouse from great height .

I thought that too Shayne re the usage. It's the one thing you cannot control or prove though I think I would panic if my engine sounded like that.

Maybe its not written on the tin but its kinda self governing when a quick trial blast brings tickover revs up to like 2500 caution prevails . Impatience to empty the tin has led me to induce the dreaded knocking sound more than once but the first knock makes you move faster to withdraw the tin than a cattle prod might .

A solicitor may help but you don't need one for the small claims court. Isn't the place of hearing at where one bought the item from. i.e. where the contract was created ?

Back