Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 rear winch bumper build

Really? :whistle: New toolage?

I shall be taking the tea urn with me, heated socks and a hat like Karl's. it is freezing up there. The ice is 4" thick and although some vehicles have been through today, there is plenty left to go through your sump. It's like steel plate.

Not the use of slots for adjustment Jon. Just need some bigger bolts in there when I get round to it.

Chris

yeah I noticed the bolt was a bit small but didn't like to mention it :lol:

Maybe I should machine some washers out of an old brake disc?

Chris

Coming together well chris :thumbup: Looking forward to seeing it all coated up :thumbup:

Very interested in the carrier for the spare wheel as well.

Karl

Well, winchtastic is the best I can say about today. Went to our local wooded p&p. Rear winch was in use within first 10 mins. Not for me I hasten to add. I went round all day and never once needed a rescue. The Insa's were awesome as always - but hmm, those 35's and another few inches of lift are beckoning. Got one or two mods to think about including a splash guard for the winch. It was carnage out there today with many retirements. I didn't escape completely. When wading an ice lake, a piece the thickness of a paving slab took out my sidelight lens. Still at least it wasn't a front diff :whistle: :violin: Range cough rover. There was stuff being trailered home all over the place and I've never seen so many stuck at once. Cruiser just trundled round as always getting quite a bit of attention.

One section had every one stuck. Took some ribbing for getting through with three lockers so I did it again with none :lol:

Great fun day.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No mate. Tricky when on your own. There will be some footage form others I think at some point. Will try to link to it when I see it. Really good day. We're going again mid Feb. Some really tricky bits.

Chris

Hi Chris am pleased you've got it all up and working and not jealous at all :liar:
Could you recess some work lights into the outer area's prior to coating?
Might give me a chance to catch up...... :x
Chris S.

Well I am shooting in Scotland this weekend so that'll give you a chance.

Chris

Good full day at it today. Nice working inside for a change. Well apols for the rubbish pics, taken on my eyefone.

Got the spindle welded in. Somehow my fone make the welding look terrible. It's not! Just had some new bits in the welder yesterday, all seem well again.

photo1-1.jpg

Here it is with the outer collar

photo2-1.jpg

Then I had to cut the new bumper out so that it would do in around the spindle - that went well and looks neat.

Next I got an arm tacked on. I have put a bend in it - for a couple of reasons, not just looks.

photo2-2.jpg

Obviously way longer than it needs to be at the moment.

This is a sort of lash up for the moment. I intend to use something very similar but naturally all machined my self out of stainless and much more sexy, but I needed something just to see if it works. I know most people use cam clamp arrangements, but why not have a pin and a hole. I milled up a little catch plate with a ramp and hole in the middle which you can't see in this pic, but it works!

photo1-2.jpg

Then I got some nifty arms on. Because there is a bend in the arm the main arm and support needed to be quite clever, so I slotted the angled support to pass though the main carrier arm. Pretty pleased with the end result, it's never going to bend that's for sure. Again, top quality picture.

photo4.jpg

Neatly, the carrier does not obscure either the fog light or the number plate which means with no tyre on it's all legal like. But the number plate will go on the bumper and the light for it will go on the arm above. That way I don't need a plate on the wheel like some have and the wiring will go through the arm.

It's coming together. Off for sea trials tomorrow at local site, just to see if it causes any issues that I haven't though of.
Then I have to make the actual wheel carrier bit.

Chris

Very very very nice chris :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Getting quite a dab hand at these mods arnt we :thumbup:

Well done,looking forward to it all powdercoated and finished :thumbup:

Karl

Thanks buddy. The reason, by the way, that I left the top of the support diagonal sticking up,is that I intend to put the high lift there and wanted to leave a nubbin to weld a bracket to. Fed up of the damn thing inside the truck.

Chris

Looks grand Chris .... :thumbup:

can't have much more to do on it now surely ....

REALLY IS LOOKING GOOD.

As for the pin idea i think that will work very well and be alot better for undoing the carrier to get in the truck.When are you wanting it all finished for mate?

Karl

Cheers boys. No not much left at all actually. One session should see it done. Mind you I haven't designed the wheel carrier yet. Thinking about making it adjustable.

:idea: Oh I forgot to mention the other idea. There will be a hook in arm for the roof rack that takes a pulley so that I can use the rear winch to lift the spare on and off. :D

Just need it don asap Karl, but deff for Lincomb.

Chris

Well it got a good outing today. Fantastic to have another 80 along (RobVX 80) to show them how it's done. The 80's were imperious (that means awesome) I must get some little sticks to go down my drives door for every truck that I rescue. Rear winch saw action again. Carrier didn't give me any problems either.

Rob, sorry about the minor damage mate. It'll straighten out.

Chris

Back