Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80series FZJ80 cranks but won’t start when cold but will start up like normal during the day when it’s warmer

Kanooe

Country Flag
australia
My FZJ80 will crank but the engine doesn’t start, this only happens when its abit colder (20 degrees Celsius), and there’s abit of condensation. When it’s warmer during the day the engine (1Fzfe) starts up just fine and doesn’t run weird.

Not sure what the problem is as there’s no sputtering when I try to start it, it just flat out cranks and there’s no sign from the engine of trying to start.

Wrong oil viscosity or batteries getting old would be my first thoughts .

The battery is basically brand new. I did an oil change recently and used a 20w-50 viscosity. Could it be a problem with the fuel injectors?

Simple stuff first , I once cleaned all starter motor , battery connections whatever i could find because of a similar problem to no avail and maybe the 5th time i removed the battery a genuine and original battery terminal which by this time looked shiny and new simply broke in half with no encouragement .

How that invisible hairline fracture prevented it from passing enough kick i will never know but when i fitted a new one the problem was gone .

Google says

"
Can I use 20W50 in winter?

The first number is for starting temperature in Winter and the second is for max operating temperature. Now, if you are residing in a place where winter temps drop below 10 degrees. You can switch to 10w50 oil. If not, you can stick with manufacturer recommended 20w50.11 Aug 2019"

Back