Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

BF Goodrich or Cooper

Rob Gill

Country Flag
uk
Gents,

About to drop over a grand on tyres. Need the three peak snow rating as going skiing in Europe (driving from Scotland so mostly road driving)

Any feed back on these two options would be greatly appreciated:

5 off 275/65/R18 either:
  • BFGoodrich Trail-Terrain T/A (Outline White Lettering)
  • Cooper Discoverer AT3 Sport 2 (Outline White Lettering)
2003 Amazon TD

There used to be a significant premium for the BFGs in the past -as much as 20%, compared with Cooper/ General/ Toyo/ Yokohama/ Falken and the likes.

If that's still the case, then I would go for the Coopers - better VFM IMHO. If not, then individual specs would come into play.

Not sure about the current situation, as I haven't bought 4x4 tyres in years.

There used to be a significant premium for the BFGs in the past -as much as 20%, compared with Cooper/ General/ Toyo/ Yokohama/ Falken and the likes.

If that's still the case, then I would go for the Coopers - better VFM IMHO. If not, then individual specs would come into play.

Not sure about the current situation, as I haven't bought 4x4 tyres in years.
Thanks, really appreciate your insight and response

Seems BFG are still chasing the premium, I have heard the the Coopers are extremely good off-road.

1702077217956.png

p.s I currently live in Texas but heading home to Scotland to get the TLC ready for a road trip to Italy.

With such a small price difference I’d go for the goodrich, only because I’ve had them for years without any issues at all. A bit like the old saying ’no one ever got fired for buying IBM’

What kind of off-road are you going to be doing? And how much of it?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You may want to shop around a bit.

My local guy seems too be able to supply and fit the cooper at3 S2 for under £155 each.

You may want to shop around a bit.

My local guy seems too be able to supply and fit the cooper at3 S2 for under £155 each.
That fairly stacks up when you are ordering 5. Got a contact or website?

I was in same dilemma mid November and ended up going for the Coopers mainly as they were £50+ per tyre cheaper and from reviews i'd seen they seemed good value for money. I've not had them on snow yet but they're very good on the road, quite happy with them. I'm based in highlands of Scotland so will be testing over next month/two with snow/winter conditions.

Not any kind of test results, but, I've had only bad experience with Cooper, and nothing but awesome good experience with BFG AT Ko2 (and Yokohama). Size 265/75-R16.

Coopers were good the first year, but not the best of grip, or balance, or noise. Frequent punctures, both sidewall and tread.

BFG AT Ko2 are nearly as good as a winter tyre on snow (when newish), perfect on dry roads, impossible to aqua-plane (at my testing). Quiet like a plain on-road tyre, still aggressive enough to have some bite off-road. (The computer modelling they did for the Ko2 version paid off)

That's a surprise uHu with the Cooper's. Ive had them on for the last 3 years (fitted by previous owner) and have only positive experience, none of your examples, so different use/driving etc as most people and will have a bearing on them.
Mine are the 'old' AT3, now superceded, but I would have any of the newer versions on offer when due for renewal.
Can't comment on BFG as never had them, so a bit biased on my experience.

Couldn't find the Coopers I wanted so went BFG A/T and they've been brilliant so far

I found the Coopers to grip better especially in mud, but the BFG'S lasted longer and they're good enough for most terrain.
Cheers

Back