Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Botswana 2014

What brand is the rear view camera - the size looks really nice for viewing?

Camera

Simon,

I bought THIS. The camera is a Sony CCD camera not a cheapo cmos you find on ebay.

Picture is crystal clear and sharp as the screen is high res and polarised, not silver backed. Night-time IR image is faultless.
their sales blurb wasn't tosh.

Highly recommend it.

PS you can change the picture image you see, to be 1)mirror image. 2)real image 3) inverted image.
very clever stuff.

Last edited:
Hi Olazz

Awesome report as usual. Great video of the drive to the campsite.

I was looking into getting the batwing but as I won’t have a roof rack (I intend to use roof bars) the upper tailgate would hit the awning and I would struggle I think to get it secured with roof bars only.

Do you find the Hague camera support system better than the RAM mount ones? If you don't mind would also be interested in getting the details of the shipping company you use.

Hi Olazz

Awesome report as usual. Great video of the drive to the campsite.

I was looking into getting the batwing but as I won’t have a roof rack (I intend to use roof bars) the upper tailgate would hit the awning and I would struggle I think to get it secured with roof bars only.

Do you find the Hague camera support system better than the RAM mount ones? If you don't mind would also be interested in getting the details of the shipping company you use.

Hi Hans,
The Eezi-awn fits on roof bars too. Seen a few vehicles with just roof bars and it seems to work ok.

I've got tons of video footage of the trip, and seem to be slowly moving more towards film rather than just photos, so still working on the report and videos in FCP.

The Hague mount is a professional mount so once attached to the vehicle, it is almost impossible to remove without manually breaking the suction. I've had it attached to the doors with a Canon 7d (heavy magnesium body) and it didn't move . It is equally strong on glass. The ram stuff is nowhere near as strong or versitile.

I'll PM you the other detail.

Great write up as usual, madoda. Glad you avoided the bliksem skelms on the way. Looking forward to part 2 ....

Lazz How come you brought the extra camera and rear view monitor you could have got the plug in camera that goes in the 760?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Finally got round to reading this report. Love the bush sunset pics, makes my heart ache for long lost times.

Part 2 now published and interior build updated!

Thanks for posting pictures were amazing cant wait to get out in march.

Great. Thanks for posting.

Watching the rebuild with interest as well.

Thanks Stu. We took much more video this time and I'm wading through hours of stuff on Final Cut.
We're off again in Nov so chasing to get all the upgrades done on the truck, and the list is long! Hopefully it will start to fall into place quite quickly now.

Where will you be going in March?

Thanks for the update

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Stu. We took much more video this time and I'm wading through hours of stuff on Final Cut.
We're off again in Nov so chasing to get all the upgrades done on the truck, and the list is long! Hopefully it will start to fall into place quite quickly now.

Where will you be going in March?

I am not 100% sure whats going on yet will be flying to joberg then on to pretoria for a bit. might go to my wife uncles farm and then on to his holiday home in East london and maybe back through the Karoo?
My wife came up with a good one the other day and said we can go and stay in the Serengetti if we like so my ears pricked upand mention how easy would that be with a young baby and the 5 day drive each way? turns out there is a resort with the same name gutted.

stu

Thanks for sharing Lazz, keep those updates coming. Looking forward to the videos.

Back