Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

centre diff lock

GLENN93

Country Flag
england
Do all 80 series have a centre diff lock as i have looked at one that the light did not come on when put in low range

It may have had the centre diff lock button fitted, a common modification to allow low range to be selected with the lock engaging.

Regards

Dave

Shaynes truck had an extra fog light button instead of a centre diff button.

so centre diff lock engages in low range light not coming so mit be a bulb

I don't see a signature showing your car model or year, depending on the year if it has ABS that will light up as will the orange differential light warning when the CD is operated.

With the ignition on but engine off operate the difflock, you should hear a whirr and/or click.

Note, do not be alarmed if the bulb check for central differential does not light up when the ignition is switched on. I thought it was an issue with my car, after checking bulbs and so forth no problem was found. Talking to other 80 owners this is not uncommon.

Regards

Dave.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Only the GS model had the centre diff lock switch as standard ( on the 24v models) This is something to do with the fact it doesnt have ABS or a VC in the transfer box. I've seen the CDL switch on the 12V models but I'm not sure which models they came on.

On USDM models, that button only came from factory on 93 and 94 years. 95+ models automatically locked the center diff when shifted into LO range.
+1 the button can be fitted to all models 93 to 97 as the wiring harness for all models is the same. The plug for the switch is behind a blank plate on the dash. We call it the '7-pin mod' in the US on the basis there are 7 pins in the switch module.
Not to be confused with the 'pin-7 mod', which enables at-will locking of the CD in both LO and HI range (not a factory feature).

Only the GS model had the centre diff lock switch as standard ( on the 24v models)

Morning Andy,
I've often wondered about the CDL situation on mine, a UK model ('97, GS, 24v, Manual). Like you said, I've been told previously that the GS model should have the CDL switch, although mine hasn't. Is that because it has FF & RR diff locks, or does the CDL actually add another feature, if so, is the wiring likely to be already there and just require a the switch?
Cheers

On USDM models, that button only came from factory on 93 and 94 years. 95+ models automatically locked the center diff when shifted into LO range.

So if that wiring configuration is also on the UK / Euro models, does it mean you can also engage CDL whilst in Hi ratio and not restricted to only when selecting Lo ratio?

It does. And also by removing the plug at the rear of the transfer box you can also use lo with cdl unlocked.

That's interesting Gav.... because, although rare, I've actually had a couple of times in the past, when manoeuvring something heavy in a tight space, whilst on concrete in the yard!

I've often wondered about the CDL situation on mine, a UK model ('97, GS, 24v, Manual). Like you said, I've been told previously that the GS model should have the CDL switch, although mine hasn't. Is that because it has FF & RR diff locks, or does the CDL actually add another feature, if so, is the wiring likely to be already there and just require a the switch?

It will have a CDL, this the first aid to traction before the axle diff locks are required. If the switch is missing then there should be a plug with a wire which fits onto the socket . I know this has to be removed and substituted with the CDL switch if retro fitted to a VX or GX ,

so dash has no switch but i have ordered one now .
but when you put it in low range cant hear an noise from the motor
so i need a factory manual now, any links to a RHD manual or a hard copy

so dash has no switch but i have ordered one now .
but when you put it in low range cant hear an noise from the motor
so i need a factory manual now, any links to a RHD manual or a hard copy
All the diff lock lights should illuminate briefly when the key is turned to the 'ON' position.
Do you see any lights in that regard?

... missing then there should be a plug with a wire which fits onto the socket . I know this has to be removed and substituted with the CDL switch if retro fitted to a VX or GX ,

So, is that CDL wiring located behind this switch blank on the right of the hazards?

Attachments

• 20230802_140854.jpg
    20230802_140854.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 14
Thanks Gav...... I'll have a butchers.

Back