Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cheap, unfashionable 4x4

Rob Cowell

Country Flag
wales
I might, just, soon be tempted to get us a second car. We live a mile off tarmac, up a fairly steep, rutted, rocky track. A proper 4x4 (Land Cruiser, Defender) will do it no trouble. Subaru Foresters and VW Tiguans have made it without removing too much of their undersides.

So, I want something cheap (under £5K), reasonable on fuel (aspirationally, close to 40mpg), and could tow at least 1 ton.

Have had a little look at Suzuki Jimny's - quite expensive for a tiny car, and Suzuki Ignis, definitely along the right lines I think, but not sure how well it would last with a daily battering, and not quite up to the towing.

Any other ideas?

I struggle to think of any sub £5k 4x4 that will a do close to 40mpg.
Why not go a bit cheaper and accept lower fuel returns?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Subaru Legacy Outback, tough as old boots, they have a factory body lift over a normal legacy. Tow about 1.6tons iirc, Nice cars & cheap, get a pre 2001 for cheaper tax.

You could look at a surf ... you should get high 20's with all going well.

I don't think many petrol Subarus are going to get close to 40MPG. My Forester will just about make it into the 20's.

XC70 diesel?

XC90 much better than 70 but hard to get a decent one for sub 5k

Sent from my Galaxy Note

I'd go for the XC70 over the XC90; IIRC the 70 actually has more clearance. What's telling is the number of XC70's you see around the Scottish/Welsh Borders run by the farmer's wives...

The XC70 will tow 1600kg till the cows come home, we've had enough of them over the years.

Other ones to consider would be a Skoda Octavia Scout or Citroen with the lifting suspension?

I don't think many petrol Subarus are going to get close to 40MPG. My Forester will just about make it into the 20's.

is that a turbo one Ian?

I have two foresters

the 2l non-turbo does 30-35mpg

the 2.5litre XT does 26-30mpg and probably lower if i drove it more and not the wife!

is that a turbo one Ian?
Yes, it's a 2.5 turbo. I am addicted to the acceleration, this does not help the consumption. I have never driven a whole tank of fuel carefully so don't know what it could do.

Hyundai Tucson or a Kia Sportage... they're cheap-ish, the problem is that people know how good they are... one of our neighbours has a Hyundai in addition to their Range Rover for the wife to drive...

Yes, it's a 2.5 turbo. I am addicted to the acceleration, this does not help the consumption. I have never driven a whole tank of fuel carefully so don't know what it could do.

yes the acceleration is addictive :) - suprises the audi and bmw drivers when they try to keep up (tailgate) on the twisty B-roads :)

but i mostly drive the slower non-turbo one or the landcruiser! and wife drives the 2.5 turbo :(

Definitely 3.0L ... I was very happy with my modified 2.4 though.

Back