Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Clutch wear

MisterCruiser

Country Flag
ireland
So finally got the gear box off. Is there any way to see how much wear is on the clutch friction disc without stripping the whole assembly? I don't think there is but just thought I'd ask as you never know.

I was pulling the gear box off to tackle a rounded gear box filler plug but whilst it's off I should probably check what life is left on the clutch but I don't really want to disturb the assembly. There's a 2018 date stamped on the pressure plate, seems to be a quality brand, "Aisin" which I believe is a company owned by the Toyota group so possibly was fitted by a dealer at some stage.

I know many folk will say replace it when you're in there and normally I'd agree and would, but this isn't my main vehicle and will only be putting a couple of thousand miles on it a yr, so if there's 10,000 miles of life left that could mean 3-5 yrs for me. Plus it'll be my own labour when it does need changing in the future anyway. In the meantime I'll put the money into rust repair and rust-proofing.

Would it be wise to replace the release bearing at least? Is the wear pattern on the pressure plate fingers (little indents, see pic) normal or can this be used to gauge clutch life? Is there any reason not to pair a new release bearing with a half worn pressure plate?

IMG-7694.jpg

IMG-7693.jpg

Back