Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Drive shaft play

Brecht

Country Flag
belgium
Noticed a weird 'clunck' or 'smack' when driving at higher speeds. When I took my foot of the acceleration pedal I noticed it and when putting my foot back again. When I came back from 4wd-ing.
Today I wanted to clean of my rims and taking the wheels off etc. When jacking it up I played with the wheel I noticed the play in the front drive shaft coming from the transfer case. Video for reference.

Now wich part would be it... the spider joint? The Yoke?

And where would I be able to buy them? Any recommendations? Located in Belgium.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20240418_192308_1.mp4
    11.1 MB
Just replace the universal joint or spider as you call it . They are cheap and easy to replace consumables so i wouldn't over think it and buy genuine from Japan , find some that fit on ebay and it will be a good few years before you think about it again .

Are they easy to replace? Yeah the fastest from amayama is mid May. But I've planned the first camping trip on 28th of april, RIP.

And partouq is massively delayed because of the floods in Dubai.

Yeah I would just replace them with genuine ones... I think the Toyota garage would be overpriced.
Just replace the universal joint or spider as you call it . They are cheap and easy to replace consumables so i wouldn't over think it and buy genuine from Japan , find some that fit on ebay and it will be a good few years before you think about it again .

Roughtrax here in the UK would send them to you i think , waiting and paying more for genuine makes no sense , they last longer than brake pads but they in a similar category parts wise .

Plenty of vids on youtube how to do it but personally i find it quicker to remove the prop and cut one of the spider legs with a grinder .

Mark the shaft and the yoke so when you pick the prop up without thinking and the yoke falls out of the shaft spline you can just slot it back together where it was , because supposedly they are balanced .

Thanks for the tips!

You think that third party joints would be just as good?
Saw an option from FEBEST
Roughtrax here in the UK would send them to you i think , waiting and paying more for genuine makes no sense , they last longer than brake pads but they in a similar category parts wise .

Plenty of vids on youtube how to do it but personally i find it quicker to remove the prop and cut one of the spider legs with a grinder .

Mark the shaft and the yoke so when you pick the prop up without thinking and the yoke falls out of the shaft spline you can just slot it back together where it was , because supposedly they are balanced .
Joints

yep Febest bushes and everything , i never had a part from Roughtrax i was disappointed with , and nowadays when so many parts are outsourced by all car manufacturers i'm not easily convinced that twice the price equals twice the quality .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Oh and when you remove prop nuts turn the nut and not the bolt even if the bolt sometimes seems the easier option . theres a tiny spline on the bolt made of margarine i worked out after i removed them the first time i did the job .

yep Febest bushes and everything , i never had a part from Roughtrax i was disappointed with , and nowadays when so many parts are outsourced by all car manufacturers i'm not easily convinced that twice the price equals twice the quality .
Okay! I've bought upper control arm bushes for the rear axle last year and it's still good now.

Oh and when you remove prop nuts turn the nut and not the bolt even if the bolt sometimes seems the easier option . theres a tiny spline on the bolt made of margarine i worked out after i removed them the first time i did the job .
Spline in the bolt made of margarine ?

:lol: the bolt isn't supposed to turn but it will if you try so just hold it still with a spanner as you undo the nut .

:lol: the bolt isn't supposed to turn but it will if you try so just hold it still with a spanner as you undo the nut .
Ooooh okay hahaha, will be interesting to see how it wil come apart.
Maybe I'll take the front drive shaft off and drive in High Locked. Then it is rear wheel drive when the front shaft is removed I guess?

Yep that works but it ruins the handling , gets you home when things go wrong though

Back