Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Failed MOT

Ah man that sucks. Only consolation being that if you had tried to do this yourself it would have been a nightmare!

I'll help you drown your sorrows with a cold beer :whistle:

Bad luck :thumbdown: Isn't service history supposed to flag up stuff like this?
I hope Mr T is at least providing some free vaseline for you....

Crispin said:
I'll put money on the old caliper seizing, everything overheating and they replaced the disks and caliper but did not think there was anything wrong with the bearing.

I'll get the old bits back and see but if it did get hot, I am guessing the bearing would have been running dryer than it should?
It could be that the distorted hub is what's giving the play and not the bearing. Still doesn't help as you need a new hub by the sounds of things, so the bearing is small cheese by comparison...

Oddly the hub is 130 and more oddly, they have one on the shelf.

Apparently you can see it got hot so if it was the hub with the play, the bearing did not have much life left.

Sent from TapaTalk

Crispin said:
Yes, it's a f'ing landrover.

I bet you wish it was, you wouldn't be paying telephone numbers to fix it if it was :lol:

all done and dusted. Truck is very different. Vibration / wobble in steering wheel has gone so must have been that and not the tyres. All good.

The old bearing is ****ed. There is no grease in it, the rollers don't look too good, there is brown "dust" falling out of the bearing. :shock:
In some places the cage looked like it has been wearing against something, not sure if that is normal? Some of the "bars" between the two halfs are thinner than the others.

The old bearing is seized in the hub. You can see where they have been trying very hard (must have been a bloody big hammer towards the end) to get them apart.

One advisory though for the MOT:
"Could not check full function of rear seatbelt due to childseat being installed" :?

Brett said:
Crispin said:
Yes, it's a f'ing landrover.

I bet you wish it was, you wouldn't be paying telephone numbers to fix it if it was :lol:

Funny you say that. The guy at Mr-T has an old disco which he uses for laning and P&P days. When I asked him why he works for Toyota but still drives a LR he waved the bill in front of me. Enough said... :(

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think last time I bought a bearing (Timken) for my ninety it was about £22.00.

Don't get too upset though Crispin, cheap parts is probably the only advantage! :thumbup:

naa, not really upset. :whistle:

No more shiny rollers:
IMAG0012.jpg

Don't get this wrong, but that doesn't resemble a bearing at all.

Just a bunch of scrap metal that used to provide fluent rotating motion.

When I bought my daily driver 11 years ago, still drive it today.
I too had a seized brake caliper.
Changed out disks, brakepads and the caliper on that side.
Some time later, about 2 years if I can remember correctly, the bearing failed on that side.

8 years on now and a lot of miles driven. Not another bearing has failed or shows signs of too much wear.

I would say, problem solved. Good as new.

Get a beer to drown the blues :violin:

Why would it cause a problem though? Lots of vibration? Constant heat? I can't see where "it shows signs of getting hot". I think the guy was a bit excited on that one. But if there is another reason as to why it failed, some how linked to the brake, I would like to know (or guess) as I might be looming on the other side (see here)

Looks like there are signs of heat around the bearing housing.

Bearings only turn blue and show signs of getting hot when they receive in excess of 150°C.

150°C is what you use to expand a bearing to fit on a shaft.

I guess with some constant heat from the brake the grease slowly disappears and then it begins to corrode and grind itself to bits.

This is only a humble guess though, as I haven't conducted endurance testing on bearings whilst driving with the brakes applied :lol:

Enjoy the new bearing and Cruise on Dude :ugeek:
Or check out the LR fraternity they have discount prices when you buy them in bulk :doh:

chriscolleman said:
as I haven't conducted endurance testing on bearings whilst driving with the brakes applied :lol:

:lol: :lol:

chriscolleman said:
Bearings only turn blue and show signs of getting hot when they receive in excess of 150°C.

150°C is what you use to expand a bearing to fit on a shaft.

I guess with some constant heat from the brake the grease slowly disappears and then it begins to corrode and grind itself to bits.

:

I'm with Chris on this. My bearing had been replaced on front O/S corner and then I replaced it again as the first replacement was done by w*nkers and not fitted right. However, the caliper on this side had also been done and upgraded, probably by original owner, and the legacy of the original getting hot would explain the first failure by eventually boiling off the grease and running the bearing dry.

The plot thickens.

Back