Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Final checks before a big trip?

Just multi purpose. Nothing special Lorin. Doesn't need to be distilled from Unicorn tears or anything.

I put myself through the same mill Mike and eventually realized i have covered about 30k miles in my truck without considering breakdown a possibility . I drove 12 hours straight to get my army trailer without so much as a glance under the bonnet in preparation , I don't even have breakdown cover ...... yet .

What else??

Put on your seatbelt and turn the key..

On big trips I normally do a 5 minute check every morning

All fluid levels
Take cap off radiator - check no oily substance or whitish residue
Tension of alternator belts
Battery clamps still secure
Air filter (if you've been somewhere really dusty or driving through tall grass)
General look around under the bonnet to make sure everything is in the right place
Kick the tyres
Have a good look underneath the truck for anything that looks bent/ damaged/ missing (not really needed if you have only been on tar)
Check no oil/liquid on ground under the vehicle

If you do it every morning it really only takes a few minutes and becomes habit, but its amazing the number of small things you can pick up on and correct before they become big problems.

Where are you going? I don't think you said. Have a good one wherever it is

N

I took off for a month once and only remembered an hour later i had left the jack behind :doh:

I put myself through the same mill Mike and eventually realized i have covered about 30k miles in my truck without considering breakdown a possibility . I drove 12 hours straight to get my army trailer without so much as a glance under the bonnet in preparation , I don't even have breakdown cover ...... yet .

That's another good point - my insurer wouldn't offer breakdown cover because the vehicle is over 20 years old! Bit upsetting, that.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back