Front tracking / toe

Jon Wildsmith

Super Moderator
Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
england
Working my way through maintenance on this 80, and finishing up a front axle rebuild, this seemed like a good point to check and adjust the toe in. Turns out rear discs fit nicely, inside out, and give a good surface to clamp some box section to. I marked the box section centre, and 44cm either side of centre, to approximate a 34.5" tyre, and clamped them on. Adjusted the steering wheel to straight ahead by eye, looking at the alignment of the box section, and measured at the rear and forward marks.

Turns out it was about 5mm toe out, which would explain the vague steering feel even with the box tightened up.

I opted to remove the track bar and free up the ends on the bench / in the vice, and then refit it, which seems easier than fighting with it on the truck!

Opinions vary as to what's optimal. I've gone for approximately 4mm toe in at 44cm out, which is at the top end of the Toyota spec. From there I'll adjust it by feel of how it drives.

20231215_140055.jpg

This is how we used to do tracking on buses. Had some bent threaded bar into a hook and measure away.

Back