Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Introduction!

Oli 80

Country Flag
uk
So, just joined after 10 years of 80 ownership. I’ve lurked for years and gained a huge amount from researching the threads - thank you to all active contributors.

So, following a format posted by Andrew…

I’m Oli

I have a 1993 VX 12v 80 with 328k and a stunning amount of service history. I bought it for £800 but have done a lot of work on it…

It’s pretty much stock except the rear sliding windows have been changed for the single piece ones and I replaced the cloth interior for leather from a newer 80 so it now also has heated and electric front seats (wiring looms was in place).

Oil changed every 5k and uses very little oil - I’ve done the BEB - they showed some wear but nothing too worrying, refurbished the turbo and injectors. As well as the normal front axle rebuilds. Returns 27-29 MPG. It’s in excellent condition.

As for plans…I’m considering valve stem seals (small amount of blue smoke for first mile on start up - Julian says normal but it still annoys me), also considering diff refurb, suspension lift (bigger tyres?), roof platform, roof tent, and retrofit of AC. I’m not sure what my long term plan is - I’d love to overland but also love having it full of family. It’s great with 5 bikes and a surf board but really lacking AC! Also considering a 3inch exhaust and intercooler. Would be grateful for views on either.

Horn has just recently stopped working but I’m going to resolve that shortly. I get a slight juddering from NSF ABS sensor when braking from 5 to 0 mph but I’ve tried everything to get rid of that so am just bearing with it for now.

That’s it for now - thanks for having me!

Attachments

• IMG_8094.jpeg
    IMG_8094.jpeg
    672.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8093.jpeg
    IMG_8093.jpeg
    748 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Welcome Oli, great intro. Retro fit of air con is not a job for the faint hearted but not impossible. a complete donor car would be the best bet.

Pics would be nice, we like pics.
Where in the UK are you? I have a roof tent platform custom built for an 80 to mount a roof tent at very sensible money.

Hi Andy, thank you. I think I’d be looking for someone to do the ac retrofit - I’ve never touched an ac system before so wouldn’t know where to start. Closest I’ve got is flushing the normal heater matrix through when replacing the radiator.

I’m in Farnborough at the moment but move around a fair bit - mainly Hampshire though.

I’ll attach a couple of photos this evening - had a good tidy up yesterday so it’s looking good.

Forgot to mention on my introduction - it’s a manual, and I’ve removed the running boards too.

Any photos of the rack you’ve got and what are you looking at for it?

What it looks like off.

IMG_0619.JPG

What it looks like on.

IMG_1711.JPG

I gave £120 for it plus fetching it. I'd be happy with the £120 back if you collect with the 80 I'll fit it for you.

I'm in S Yorks just by J31.

Hi Andy,

I’m originally from Retford - not far from you. I’m really looking for something a bit more substantial but thanks for the photos.

Your 80 looks great. Is that a 2inch lift or stock? 275/70/16 tyres - BFG? I like the way it sits - I’m after similar.

No worries Oli, I know Retford well as for a good few years I was in Retford Young Farmers so I know all the surrounding villages too ( and the pubs).
Was it Retford itself or nearby?

Tyres are 285/75/16's and a 2" Dobinsons suspension. I've a different setup now, a Maggiolina tent on roof bars.

I don't mind the Maggi getting scratched when we're laning and with the bars its a good bit lighter than the other set up.

IMG_0714.JPG

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No worries Oli, I know Retford well as for a good few years I was in Retford Young Farmers so I know all the surrounding villages too ( and the pubs).
Was it Retford itself or nearby?

Tyres are 285/75/16's and a 2" Dobinsons suspension. I've a different setup now, a Maggiolina tent on roof bars.

I don't mind the Maggi getting scratched when we're laning and with the bars its a good bit lighter than the other set up.

View attachment 332669

It was Ordsall!

I like the Dobinsons lift - imported from Aus?

I don’t really do much laning - hadn’t really thought about three roof bars for the roof tent - a cheaper and as you say lighter solution. I often carry bikes and surfboard/SUP so need flexibility.

Was looking at the ARB racks but it’s a lot of cash for a rack…

Attachments

• IMG_3290.jpeg
    IMG_3290.jpeg
    451.9 KB · Views: 19
Any feedback on the iKamper roof tent? I was looking at them at the Motor Show at the weekend and they looked great, if a little heavy at 80kg for the four person tent.

Yep Ordsall, know it well, we have two or three customers there.

The i-kamper is a brilliant piece of kit. We like it for the extra room it gives for bags and other kit. With its awning it really does provide some living space although I wouldn't put the awning up just for one night.

Just as an aside, I have a 4 bike rack which bolts to the rear tow bar. I had it fitted to my 1st 80 when the kids were smaller. It might be an idea if you are going the RTT route.

Dobinsons suspension, was bought second hand from a forum member on here, good to drive on the road, good to drive off road on the lanes as well.

IMG_1776.JPG

Back