Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Need series 78 cooling advice :)

bluesphere

Country Flag
united_states
Okay guys, ive had my new to me 2002 series 78 troop carrier and I have a cooling issue. The good news is I know what it is. I have the 1HZ engine, but unfortunately the fan that connects to the fly wheel and shroud is missing. There is a cheap chinese electric fan bolted onto the radiator and its just not enough cooling at highway speeds. Under 50 mph running the AC im good, but on the highway I have to turn on the heat, and where I am (Panama) thats not alot of fun. My question is should I scrounge and look for the parts, or upgrade to a 4 row aluminum radiator with a dual electric fan set-up?
1000040057.jpg
1000039479.jpg

Attachments

• dfc1490daeb24f9497a9cc3358b2cdfa_490.jpg
    dfc1490daeb24f9497a9cc3358b2cdfa_490.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 4
Finding the parts is the issue. From what im reading the 4 row dual fan cooling system might be an upgrade, just dont know :(

Is it hard/expensive to get the parts shipped/imported?

Might be worth investigating which Toyota's shared the same clutch fan maybe ?

A quick search showed China is selling copies ten a penny and personally i'm thinking its one of those parts so unlikely to fail that if it works its likely to last .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Motors Head Japan are also a very good supplier for genuine OEM parts, have used them a few times and found they are cheaper than Amayama

Is there a website or PDF with an exploded view of my truck with OEM part numbers?

Land Cruiser 2002 78 series hardtop
Model HZJ78L-RJMRS
Engine 1HZ
Color 058
Trim LC10
Trans/Axle R151F A02A
Plant A11
Vin number JTERB71J800010272

So i installed the clutchfan yesterday, and even without a shroud it cools better than the dinky electric fan. Im going to build a shroud out of aluminum over the weekend :) such an awesomely simple truck!!!!
1000040652.jpg

1000040369.jpg

Is there a website or PDF with an exploded view of my truck with OEM part numbers?

Land Cruiser 2002 78 series hardtop
Model HZJ78L-RJMRS
Engine 1HZ
Color 058
Trim LC10
Trans/Axle R151F A02A
Plant A11
Vin number JTERB71J800010272
I think I have the same 78 as you. I use Amayama Good exploded views and part numbers.

I dont really know where to find the parts. Shipping is not an issue, quite simple actually. Just have to find where to get them.
Hey
I get alot of my 78 series parts from partsouq.com
I have a 1995 kzj78 series with the 3.0 .I run highway speeds with 33x12.5x15 inch tires her in the states 65mph and no cooling issues with stock fan and radiator

Hey
I get alot of my 78 series parts from partsouq.com
I have a 1995 kzj78 series with the 3.0 .I run highway speeds with 33x12.5x15 inch tires her in the states 65mph and no cooling issues with stock fan and radiator
Type in your vin # on the home page and it will open up parts catlogues specific to your landcruiser

Type in your vin # on the home page and it will open up parts catlogues specific to your landcruiser
I put on the stock fan clutch and tossed the electric one. I dont have the cowling for it so the fanclutch is exposed but seems to be running fine with the AC now at highway speeds. I do want to upgrade to a 4 row aluminum radiator though.

I put on the stock fan clutch and tossed the electric one. I dont have the cowling for it so the fanclutch is exposed but seems to be running fine with the AC now at highway speeds. I do want to upgrade to a 4 row aluminum radiator though.
Get the shroud it makes a world of difference keeping the engine happy.and cool - I also want to upgrade to an aluminum radiator and an intercooler .

The fan is redundant at speed thats why it has its own clutch , it goes into free spin .

Off road or around town there is little airflow to cool the radiator and so the fan engages .

Back