Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New Member!

I would have thought strip it down and inspect everything as you go, noting what's bad and in need of replacement. Once you've got a heap of parts you want blasting get them to a blasting works or get a mobile blaster to come and blast them off. Then you can see what needs repairing or replacing on the body and chassis. Get it coated up pretty quickly, there's 'weld through' primers available that enable a coating to be applied.

Have a look here http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54735
at Project Binky to give an idea of how to go about fabrication and modification work as an example. The same techniques would apply to welding in new bits.

Know your limitations and set a high standard that you aren't going to compromise on. If you can't do a good job on a certain bit, either learn or get someone that can do it supremely well to do it as it's often cheaper than doing it twice. Don't rush it.

Last edited:
I would have thought strip it down and inspect everything as you go, noting what's bad and in need of replacement. Once you've got a heap of parts you want blasting get them to a blasting works or get a mobile blaster to come and blast them off. Then you can see what needs repairing or replacing on the body and chassis. Get it coated up pretty quickly, there's 'weld through' primers available that enable a coating to be applied.

Have a look here http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54735
at Project Binky to give an idea of how to go about fabrication and modification work as an example. The same techniques would apply to welding in new bits.

Know your limitations and set a high standard that you aren't going to compromise on. If you can't do a good job on a certain bit, either learn or get someone that can do it supremely well to do it as it's often cheaper than doing it twice. Don't rush it.

thanks mate, ill have a look, this is all a learning curve and I'm in no rush i want this to be smick and like you said if its just a touch out of my league ill either persist and get better or bite the bullet and get someone in, but i think ill be disappointed in myself if i don't do everything myself unless theres a bloody good reason.

cheers star!

thanks mate, ill have a look, this is all a learning curve and I'm in no rush i want this to be smick and like you said if its just a touch out of my league ill either persist and get better or bite the bullet and get someone in, but i think ill be disappointed in myself if i don't do everything myself unless theres a bloody good reason.

cheers star!

Mitch, hadn't checked the site for a few days. Sorry for not directly answering your questions. If I were you I, if you don't have one, I would buy a small blast cabinet. You can farm out the big parts for media blast (frame body etc...) but do the smalls yourself (bolts, brackets, etc...). On the nuts and bolts, it's a lot of work, but worth it in the long run, I made a container from a plastic box and cut a hole in the top for the blast gun and cut the bottom out and installed hardware cloth. This insures that you don't loose the small parts in the process. I blast the nuts and bolts and then wire brush them smooth prior to having them zinc plated. I do the same with all brackets etc... only you don't need to put them in the plastic container. The parts will come back from plating looking as new. image (39).jpegimage (56).jpegIMG_0631.JPG The first pic is of the parts prepped and ready for plating the two following photos are some of the parts after plating. Take lots of photos as you take the Land Cruiser apart. It helps to identify the correct nuts, bolts, brackets, etc...... I also have a large blaster that I can set up outside. I put down and up tarps to contain the media as I blast the frame etc... I had the body blasted by an expert to avoid warping any of the medal. Frame after media blasted.
. IMG_0257.JPG

Mitch, hadn't checked the site for a few days. Sorry for not directly answering your questions. If I were you I, if you don't have one, I would buy a small blast cabinet. You can farm out the big parts for media blast (frame body etc...) but do the smalls yourself (bolts, brackets, etc...). On the nuts and bolts, it's a lot of work, but worth it in the long run, I made a container from a plastic box and cut a hole in the top for the blast gun and cut the bottom out and installed hardware cloth. This insures that you don't loose the small parts in the process. I blast the nuts and bolts and then wire brush them smooth prior to having them zinc plated. I do the same with all brackets etc... only you don't need to put them in the plastic container. The parts will come back from plating looking as new. View attachment 24139View attachment 24140View attachment 24141 The first pic is of the parts prepped and ready for plating the two following photos are some of the parts after plating. Take lots of photos as you take the Land Cruiser apart. It helps to identify the correct nuts, bolts, brackets, etc...... I also have a large blaster that I can set up outside. I put down and up tarps to contain the media as I blast the frame etc... I had the body blasted by an expert to avoid warping any of the medal. Frame after media blasted.
. View attachment 24142

thanks mate,
when you did the small nuts and bolts did you do them individually and hold them whilst doing or did you do a few at a time? ill be looking at doing as much as I can as possibly by myself!
cheers

Mitch, I first put the smalls in a plastic container with a wire cloth bottom and a hole in the top to put my media blast nozzle through. I blast the parts then one at a time by hand wire brush them to a smooth finish. Some say that the wire brushing is not necessary, but the plating company I use says that it makes a much nicer job in the end.
JLP

Mitch, I first put the smalls in a plastic container with a wire cloth bottom and a hole in the top to put my media blast nozzle through. I blast the parts then one at a time by hand wire brush them to a smooth finish. Some say that the wire brushing is not necessary, but the plating company I use says that it makes a much nicer job in the end.
JLP

Fair enough. Your build is impressive so if you get feed back like that then it would be silly not to follow from others experience
Thanks mate

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back