Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Pedders shock bush failure?

If we are talking about the rear lower bushes, Pedders actually sent me 2 piece Poly replacements when mine first failed.

Still haven't fitted them yet as the older type replacement shocks they sent with the 2 piece rubber bush have lasted so far.

Still think there had been some sort of design fault with their new shock and the rear one piece bush although I have noticed that the front shock bushes have started to show small splits. Will be keeping a close eye on them.

PolyBush.jpg

Cheers Knuk I will phone them I got an advisory on a rear one (lower) first mot after fitting but it didn't look to bad to me so I promptly forgot about it . But I notice the fronts lowers are looking very unhealthy now .

I have heavy duty standard hieght on the rear , they don't do a plus 2" HD rear for the 90 series , and plus 2" foam cell trax something or other on the front .

Would like to throw this in as well as I did not see it when scanning through.

As the axle is located by swing arms, it not only moves up and down but also scribes an arc. Not much granted but there all the same, I prefer to tighten bushes ONLY when the vehicle has settled on it's suspension, the bushes are then in a 'neutral' position. I tighten until the bolt stops and then add a few years experience of 'extra' tightening.

regards

Dave

Pedders were on the ball new front poly bushes will be with me by Wednesday but the rears might have to come from Oz so they can only promise asap :thumbup:

And Dave will be happy to know it was explained to me that all moving suspension parts should only be torqued once the vehicle is sat on all 4 wheels and ready to drive away .

Changed the rear ones today and i think perhaps they failed because the retaining washer is like a dish/bowl shape in which the bush sits snug , only the garage i let fit the shocks decided to fit the washer back to front so the rubber bush was trying to spread over it .

Front replacements are polywhatjimacallit with a steel collar so are these going to need pressed in with something heavy duty or will i manage with a vice ?

It would be handy to know just to have an idea of how long the job might take .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Changed the rear ones today and i think perhaps they failed because the retaining washer is like a dish/bowl shape in which the bush sits snug , only the garage i let fit the shocks decided to fit the washer back to front so the rubber bush was trying to spread over it .

Front replacements are polywhatjimacallit with a steel collar so are these going to need pressed in with something heavy duty or will i manage with a vice ?

It would be handy to know just to have an idea of how long the job might take .

The steel collar is on the outside Shayne? A steel tube snug to the bolt, yes, but its unusual to have a steel pressed insert in the shocker body "eye"... :think:

pedders front bush 001.JPG

Pack includes note - do not lubricate metal press fit components

Interesting...

You might get them in with a good sturdy bench vice and tube (or appropriate sized socket) if you clean the inside of the receiving eye well. I used to change my void bushes on the Cortina that way and it's a similar set-up.

But often they need a press.

Never seen that type on a shocker before though.

Not sure if your rear washer setup is the same as mine but the OE shock bolts are fitted with the bowl shape fitting against the bush and the opposite washer was set the same on my original shocks when I removed them.

Doesn't look right as natural to think the bush would fit inside the recess on both sides of the shock.
Anyhow have noticed some smaller splits showing in the other rubber bushes front and back and they were torqued up with all wheels on the ground and after few jumps up and down to settle them.

Any further grief and it will be skip time.

Hard to see in this pick but the lower shock OE washer is pre fitted with the bowl outwards:
IMG_0342.JPG

Thanks for sharing that knuck i guess i will just have to keep an eye on it .

My washer was that way aswell Shayne when I did mine,and it was like that on the Bmw.

I do wonder if the washer was cupped when new , maybe its just gone that way with age ? in any case i will be leaving mine as is , i feel to flip the washer just guarantees the new bush will fail in the same way as the last .

AFAIK, which may be not at all, the dish should be facing away from the rubbers, to allow for movement without the washer cutting into the rubber.

And, all the retaining washers I've seen on shockers have been slightly dished.

Back