Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Portugal 2015.

Well, after yesterdays frustrations and generally wasted effort I was a bit despondent this morning, but today has paid off in spades, and then some!

Drove a previous route, but from the other end - this turned out to be a good decision as it was a different experience altogether, including this:

b8239b7c19e9b5232b829ea4447ff04a.jpg

You wouldnt know it was there from tbe original route. Its abandoned, and surrounded by an equally abandoned camp.

It was fascinating, like everyone had just left. The church is still in use, but only for special occasions I think.

Weather is now lovely, dried out!

Sunset is purple!

5ca93e8278214df8e62843ba01e724b3.jpg

Route planned for tomorrow, another Spanish direction.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Glad you are finding good tracks have a great time

Bad weather forecasted for Spain and Portugal hope not in your area!

Regards

Chris....

We where out in August weather very hot.
September can be mixed in the North it's not green for a reason!

It's forecasting heavy rain let's hope not on you .

Chris..

Interesting trip. Do you have a name or co-ordinates for this site?

b8239b7c19e9b5232b829ea4447ff04a.jpg

You wouldnt know it was there from tbe original route. Its abandoned, and surrounded by an equally abandoned camp.

It was fascinating, like everyone had just left. The church is still in use, but only for special occasions I think.

5ca93e8278214df8e62843ba01e724b3.jpg

We had a thunder and lightning storm when we were at 1300m crossing back from spain earlier in the week, I was proper cacking myself!

Its funny how one valley can be having a thunderstorm, yet the next is peaceful.

Last track tomorrow, then day off before travelling back on Wednesday.

Found some interesting routes, but need one from Azibo Lake to Vila Flor as our planned one isnt there anymore.

Also, track round Azibo Lake is closed, €1000 fine apparently :(

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Spindrift - its just south-west of braganca, its clear on googlemaps.

Its shown as a scenic viewpoint on the 1:25k map I have, but on facebook it doesnt exist as a 'check in' location.

thanks.

The site sits on top of Serra da Nogueira. Location is 41.717614, -6.854371

Apparently they are old telecomms antennas that used to communicate with a similar site some 490kms away in France. Capacity was for some 120 phone lines and was replaced by satellite and fibre optic comms.

Looks like its worth a wander around.

The buildings are all locked, the main one has a microwave tower, and a barrack has been converted to another tower building.

The rest all have their curtains closed. Church is immaculate, and there is a really impressive 15 stations of the cross at the front (for any rc's reading this!), so some bits are looked after.

Apparently at one end is a helicopter pad for their air ambulance, no one there when we were there though!

There a great set of lanes directly off the site, thinking of going back on Tuesday.

0705c51a42edefdaba5a22e8b373777a.jpg

Finished the last of the planned routes today, had one last sortie on to a hill opposite the campsite for a last bit of gnarly mudplugging......spent an hour worrying about 'just one last lane' syndrome, damaging it now would be a bummer!

All fine, go to pull out onto road and drop nearside rear tyre into a storm drain.......almighty bang, fortunately no damage :)

Lesson learnt, its not moving until packed and ready to go home.

Day off tomorrow, bit of pressie and alcohol shopping, last meal together etc.

e4fa77d4471f0aba3a62d76858f602b3.jpg

The photo is a swimming pool, in the middle of a forest. Who knows.....

Just got home.

Been a great trip, 6 days off-road, 2 days sightseeing and 4 days travelling.

Portugal is great for laning, probably the best location in 'old' Europe, the lanes are generally accessible to unmodified trucks and a basic level of skill is required.

I will update with a few figures when I get a chance over the weekend.

Pete

Nice tour Pete, thanks for the trouble of sharing!

I like the photo of the 100, you can tell they were French they've got a round of cheese on the roof :lol:

b3d414b2d933793aaccadd216104487e.jpg

Cheers :icon-biggrin:

Back